Used it on mine. It sure simplified that connection! I got the idea from someone else on this list. Although I confirmed its appropriate use with other experienced builders, I did not check with Van's.

Thanks, Steve. Any clearance problems with the fitting hitting either the fuselage floor or the cover that goes over the fuel and brake lines?

Hi Mark-

I had no problem with clearance on the floor. It was perfect, at least if you mount your boost pump per plans.

There MIGHT be a tiny bit of interference with the forward cover, but I don't think so in my case. I do remember thinking that maybe I'd put a dab of RTV on the highest part of the fitting just to give some cushion to the cover, but I don't think it will be necessary.

Hope this helps.

Used it on mine, and it did simplify things. After trying several times to make the bends in the line per plans, I gave up. My only problem was that I ran short on the tubing provided by Vans and so I bought some from a local aircraft hardware supplier. This stuff is 5052 aluminum which is MUCH stiff than the 3033 Vans sends. After a few choice words though, it went right in. About a 16th of an inch clearance between the cover and the nut. I put a drop of RTV on the nut, just in case. I also used the 5052 for my brake lines, hard to work with, but this stuff is used on certified aircraft and the additional strength can only be good.

20070502image0014sd8.jpg

Perfectly fine

And they are also available at your local Hydraulics shoppe if your in a hurry.

Frank

5052 vs 3003 Versitube

snipped My only problem was that I ran short on the tubing provided by Vans and so I bought some from a local aircraft hardware supplier. This stuff is 5052 aluminum which is MUCH stiff than the 3033 Vans sends. snipped

Jorge,
Actually, all tubing in certified aircraft is done with 5052. I'm anal, so I was concerned with the cosmetics of my tubing, as well as it's function. The Versitube that Vans supplies is a pain in the a$$ to try to straighten out. The 5052 (I got mine from ACS) comes in 6 ft long straight lengths. I found it easier to start with straight tubing and place bends in it (as opposed to straightening tubing wound up in a roll). Vans Versitube scratches (and gets gouges) even when using a proper bender, like the Imperial Eastman tool. The 5052 also is rated for twice the pressure of the Versitube (it's 3003, not 3033). I used the Versitube to make prototype parts with. I made the actual parts from the 5052. My tubing looks great (even if I'm the only one who ever sees it). It resists scratches and nicks MUCH better than the 3003 Versitube. For the brake lines (high pressure) I think the 5052 is the only way to go.
Charlie Kuss