Tom Horne

I thought maybe someone could give me some thoughts on using Aeroquip FC 300 hose for oil lines. I don't have an RV, but have an IO 360 in an aerobatic plane. The original builder used this hose and there are reusable 90 degree fittings on the oil sump and case return. There are 3 lines to the inverted valve with this hose on them. Naturally, to replace with aircraft hose would be quite expensive due to the need for 90 degree fittings. As well, I may have to remove the sump to access the sump fitting if I change.

This has been working since 1996 ish so although I normally stick with aircraft quality parts, I'm thinking about just replacing the hose.

Is anyone else using this hose with good results?

Thanks,
Tom

If I remember right (the hose is a blue Aeroquip hydraulic type?), I used the hose quite successfully years ago on my Lyc 180 installation on my long gone BD4 and One Design. It has good ratings as a high pressure hydraulic hose.

I didn't use it on my RV8 as the engine came with molded firehose'd SS teflon lined lines. I ordered the same for the remaining lines from PHT at a good price (still high relative to FC300), using firesleeved hose for fuel and bare SS teflon for the rest...which is what I recommend as a EAA Tech Counselor.

If you want the best, go with the aircraft SS teflon lined lines. And a former owner of a Pitts S2B, I think you want the best with the Pitts as engine failures hold very high risk.

Aeroquip FC 300

Yes, it's the blue hydraulic hose. And funny, my plane is a One Design. It looks really good after all these years!! Seems like the ratings are about the same as the Stratoflex and it has the steel braid incorporated.

Tom

The FC300 hose is nearly the same as the 303 hose. Compare here:
http://www.eatonhydraulics.com/products/pdfs/A-HOOV-MC001-E1_11-57_Hose_LR.pdf

The main difference is that 303 is a traditional aviation hose that meets a mil spec (MIL-H-8794) with limited styles of AN fittings and the FC300 is offered for automotive use, meets an SAE spec and has a wider selection of fittings. FC300 can use crimp fittings which are fast to build up a hose assembly and it's about $1.00 cheaper per foot so there's the advantage in using FC300 if you're going to get them made at an aeroquip hose shop.
http://www.aeroquip.cc/aeroquipaerospacemarine.aspx

Re: Hose

Thanks Kent,
Exactly the information I needed. I see the FC 300 is actually better for high temp (+150 C vice 121 C). Since I have the fittings and one hose is close to the exhaust I think I'll just replace the hose itself.

Tom