Dean

I am going to run flexible fuel hose from the wing to the fuel selector. I searched the site and found reference to various fuel hoses. Do you have to use the Aeroquip SS 666 teflon fuel hose. The automoblie sites mentioned don't sell the Aeroquip hose but do have a teflon SS hose. Should I stick with the Aeroquip hose or can I substitute something else? I definitely want to use a teflon lined hose but want to make sure I get the correct one.
Also, the AN fittings on the automobile sites, are they all the correct 37 deg flare.

Thanks, Dean

Dean,
I've used Earl's Performance Speed-Flex/Speed-Seal steel jacket teflon hose and fittings in brake, oil, and fuel applications. Because it is quite stiff, I'd be cautious about short lengths of -6 connecting components with significant relative movement. I imagine it would be bulletproof connecting a wing root to a fuel selector; no movement. The fittings are not too hard to assemble.

I have no experience with their new Ultra-Flex product line. The website lists a whopper pressure rating (1180 psi), plenty of temperature range, and a tiny allowable bend radius (0.787" in -6!). Sounds interesting, but they require a fitting crimper so it would be tough to roll your own.

Something to consider. Over the past few days, I have looked into buying 2 end fittings for 666 hose and installing them myself on a fuel hose I cut in two. I changed my mind when I saw the price of those SS end fittings plus I would have had to buy a mandrel adding to the cost. Varga quoted me prices for two new fuel hose assemblies complete with firesleeve for not a whole lot more than the projected cost for doing it myself and they promised 24 hour turnaround too. Give em a call and get a quote. Certainly can't hurt.

http://www.vargaair.com/

Flex vs Al Tubing

Rick, do you have any opinion (Good/Bad) for using Flex hose to run from the L/R tanks to the Fuel Select Valve. I was wondering if it would be easier to use flex instead. Getting the correct length would be tricky though.

Flex is used past the firewall which is a more harsh enviroment.

Thx

Rick, do you have any opinion (Good/Bad) for using Flex hose to run from the L/R tanks to the Fuel Select Valve. I was wondering if it would be easier to use flex instead. Getting the correct length would be tricky though.

Flex is used past the firewall which is a more harsh enviroment.

Thx
I'll defer such opinions to those with more experience working with various hose types. Ordering the correct hose length is not at all difficult. Just remember that hose length is measured from flare (fitting) to flare. Using a coat hangar, or stiff electrical wire mockup or equivalent and bent to conform to the desired run is sufficient to determine the proper length when ordering custom made hoses.

Try Bonaco

I had my brake lines made up by Bonaco, and they were cheaper than if I made them myself. They are now making fuel lines to go from the wing root to the fuel selector. Call them and talk to Brett. He was very helpful when I did mine, and their pricing was great!

Re: Flex Fuel Lines

Thanks Guys

I might go the route of Flex hose from the tanks to the fuel valve.
Craig, are you going to use flex hose for your wing to Fuel Valve?
If so, is the ID of the fuel hose you used the same size as AL tubing called out for in the desing (Smaller = more suction DP).

I can recommend Bonaco as well, Brett was great to deal with. I would not get the super flex hose. Anything with that tight a bend radius would be vulnerable to suction collapsing, especially on long length lines. The std teflon has a bend radius of 4 inches in -6 dia which should be plenty stiff enough, but still a good idea to keep the lines as short as practical.

37 degree aircraft fittings same as JIC fittings

Go to any Parker-Hannifin store that makes up heavy equipment hoses and ask for a #4, #6 or #8 JIC end fittings, have them made up with teflon inside and you'll be good to go. That's what has worked on my RVs for years.

You may read something about JIC and 37 degree aircraft fittings are not one and the same, ignore that. Parker-Hannifin makes industrial fittings and aviation fittings (Aeroquip), but would rather sell you an aviation fitting at a greater cost.

Fuel lines

I had my brake lines made up by Bonaco, and they were cheaper than if I made them myself. They are now making fuel lines to go from the wing root to the fuel selector. Call them and talk to Brett. He was very helpful when I did mine, and their pricing was great!

I don't plan to change out what I already have; but if I had it to do over, I certainly would.

Any particular reason you want to go with Aeroquip 666 hoses? Staratoflex 124 is equivalent and readily available from Precision Hose Technology (aka Aircrafthose.com), Sacremento Sky Ranch, etc.

That being said, why would you use the more expensive life limited flexible hoses instead of standard aluminum fuel line? And if you are going flexible, why would you look to an automotive supplier? I thought auto flaring standard is 45 degrees where as aircraft is 37 degrees. Flex is use firewall forward because of the vibration and those hoses are (or at least should be) replaced every 5 (or ten for lifetime Teflon hoses) years. Hope you plan to do the same with these flexible fuel lines.