Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
Can someone tell me how to use an Aeroquip 471

Clearly the part on the right screws down onto the part in the middle in the normal way, but then how do you use the bit on the left to secure the hose in place? I am very puzzled. Perhaps it will become clearer when I get some hose, but I presume it is not so special?

Thanks.

Like this..

...Steve,
The part on the left screws onto the hose first. The middle part doesn't screw into the part on the right...it is inserted and then a mandrel, or a male fitting is screwed into that assembly and the threaded part that protrudes is inserted into the hose and screwed in until there is about .030" space between the part on the right and the part on the left, so it can turn onto the male fitting it mates to. The hose becomes pinched by the part on the left and the part in the middle.

Regards,

Fittings

Can someone tell me how to use an Aeroquip 471

Clearly the part on the right screws down onto the part in the middle in the normal way, but then how do you use the bit on the left to secure the hose in place? I am very puzzled. Perhaps it will become clearer when I get some hose, but I presume it is not so special?

Thanks.
Steve,
Archive making hoses. Recently posted a couple of very good 'u-tube' videos by Earl's performance on how the make these hoses. Once you see the video it will all make sense.
Mike H 9A/8a

Pierre, that required some careful reading, but I got there. I can visualise how it works. I just need the hose.

Trying to get the last few bits together goes on and on and.........

Mike, all you videos came up with "Sorry, no longer available,,,", but thanks for trying.

Aircraft Spruce ...

....sells mandrels expressly for making hoses...fuel/oil/brake are different sizes but they're all made the same way. The mandrel goes throught the center fitting and seats with a matching angle and screws into the female in order to lock the center piece so you can rotate it as you screw it into the hose.

I used a piece of .031 safety wire as a gauge to stop screwing it all together so that the nut can rotate freely when you install the hose on the airplane.

Regards,