rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I just got some AeroPoxy Light filler from ACS last week on the advice of another experienced RV builder nearby. I mixed according to instructions and applied to my cabin top to fill a couple of small depressions. The stuff never cured and was like rubber. I peeled it off with a razor blade.

Last night, I vigorously stirred both cans mixed using a digital scale and this morning was rewarded with more rubbery mix on a test sample.

Is this stuff really critical on the ratio or do I have a bad batch?

Their website says that the 2:1 ratio is not critical, but I'm guessing it should be close. The cans I have are over 2 years old and I am using it this week to close my elevator tips. It's been hot here lately (over 90 F) and I had about 10 minutes working time on the last batch 2 days ago! Guess I'll avoid late afternoons when using this stuff.

Just for reference, I bought it to work on a fiberglass airplane I used to own. I once used it on a cool, rainy day and it took forever to harden. I think the temps were around 55 F.

By the way: when it hardens it still looks uncured (imho)...it's kind of shiny, but when it's cured it sands well. It should only take a few hours to fully cure if it's hot and dry.

Last edited:
It's been 85-90F here the last few days but fairly humid. Even after 24 hours it was like rubber. hmmm...

Same here. When I first applied some a few weeks ago, it was 70-80 degrees and it took DAYS for it to set. The temps are now into the 50s-60s and the AeroPoxy that I smeared on a WEEK ago is still rubbery! I threw the stuff away. Guess I'll stick with West epoxy and microballoons.

I talked to Aeropoxy directly last year about the problems I had and they were extremely helpful. They checked lot numbers and mixed up a sample of those and it cured fine. Despite this, they sent me 2 brand new cans with new lot numbers, plus 2 cans of casting resin which we use in the EFI business to pot components at no charge.

Second batch was a champ and this stuffs sands really nicely and it super lightweight. I used lots on my RV10 windshield transition.

These guys stepped up to the plate and made it all right for me. Top notch service.:)

Never tried mixing any more of the old batch. On the new batch, I always used a digital scale to measure out the two parts. It may be quite critical in that regard. The first times, I was eyeballing quantities so it could have been my fault totally.

West with MB is nasty to sand compared to the Aeropoxy filler. I found this out the hard way.