bobmarkert

Well Known Member
I am installing the new AEROLEDS Sunbeam landing lights in my RV8 wingtips (new style) along with the Aeroleds Pulsar NS90 strobe/navs. Currently AEROLEDS does not manufacture any bracketing for the Sunbeam. Has anyone noodled through this and come up with an adjustable bracket so I can adjust the light pattern or will I be the trailblazer on this? I’d love to flatter you by copying your already designed solution.
Thank You
P.S. it may not matter what model RV if the wingtips are similar but I'm not sure

Wing tips?

Gil, it looks like the one you used will fit in the leading edge but I'm putting my lights in the fiberglass wing tips at the very end of the wing. Still hoping someone has figured this out already. By my count every new design task is a week added to the timeline (considering still having to work for a living!)

Bob, I'll be happy to whip you up some brackets. I have some 1/2 inch plate steel here at the house and will bring the finished brackets down to the hanger next week. It may be a bit tricky tig welding the plate to your aluminum but I'm willing to put the experimental nature of your plane to the test. Don't worry, I've used a welder once before...at an Oshkosh demonstration. I'm practically an expert. Few grade eight 1/2 inch bolts for adjustability and Bobs your uncle. This is going to be great!

Last edited:
Bob, I'll be happy to whip you up some brackets. I have some 1/2 inch plate steel here at the house and will bring the finished brackets down to the hanger next week. ......!

Billiam,
While I appreciate your youthful exuberance and willingness to help, I will decline so as to prevent the possibility of me dethroning you from the distinction of you building the heaviest RV8 since the earth cooled. Have you booked the scales at the local truckstop yet?

Bob. I'm doing the same exact thing. I cut a 032 sheet the same shape of tip face to use a an adjustable swash plate mount much like Kellys set up Dean mentioned. I'm planning on using a three point spring / screw mount. I made a mock up but haven't received my sun beams yet. But it looks like it will work out well! I use a sheet the same shape as the tip face because I wanted to minimize the view into the tip through the light hole.

Hey all-
Just for some further info on the mount Kelley made for the sun ray... (the one Dean is refering to). The compression springs can be obtained through Vans & normally come in the RV-10 landing light kit. They are in harware bag 635 of that kit. The contents of that hardware bag are below (I've highlighted the spring part number). I hope this helps anyone else looking to mount SunBeam or alike light in the tip. Like I mentioned, for the square frame SunBeams I'm using a 3 piont swash plate (adjustable mount) set on these compression springs. When I'm done, I'll try to remember to post pictures here and share all the other info with Dean.

BAG 635 RV-10 LL HARDWARE

0.010 AN426AD3-3.5 RIVETS (LB)
0.010 AN426AD3-4 RIVETS (LB)
1.000 AT6-058X5/16X4 ALUM TUBE {INCHES}
14.000 K1000-06 PLATENUT 6-32
4.000 MS21051-L06 632 SINGLE LEG P/NUT
6.000 MS51957-36 SCREW 632X1 1/8 PAN
2.000 SPRING .26X2.9 COM COMP SP FOR LL KIT
12.000 AN515-6R8 SCREW,ROUND HD
2.000 VA-194B MR16 RETAINER PLATE
2.000 VA-194C MR16 CUP

Just wondering what the outcome of the initial question was because I am considering the exact same set up for my 8.
Did you come up with a good way to mount and are you happy with the amount of light produced?

AeroLEDs is working on a new wingtip light kit for the RV. I can't go into any details about it in this post, but it will be a very high performing LED light set that is custom designed for the Van's RV wingtips (any with the clear wingtip covers and the notch). We are looking for about 20 initial installs at a special price point to get some field service feedback on the installation and performance of the lights. They will come as a complete kit for left/right with all mounting hardware and templates included. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you some additional information. :cool: