aeropunk

Hi all! We're getting to the point in our RV-8 wing kit build where we need to start thinking about chopping out the hole for landing lights, planning the wire routing, etc.

We're pretty well sold on doing a 100% AeroLED solution, including the Pulsar/Suntail position/strobes and probably something along the lines of the AeroSun 1600 for leading edge landing lights.

Questions: Is anyone using the Duckworks "Blank Installation Kit" with any of the AeroLED products? How is the fit? Ideally, we'd like to install the Duckworks cutouts and light mounts with the wing build, and then wait until the last minute (like maybe around finishing kit time) to actually buy the LED lights, just to let the tech mature a little. Any thoughts on that plan? If not Duckworks, any other mounting/cutout suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Microsun times two

I bought a partially built kit that already had the cutouts in the wing for the lights. i made a new plate to go between the ribs that i can mount two microsun lights into. one straight ahead for a "landing" light and another on top of that for a "taxi" Light. when i get it done it should light up the sky quite well. it will make a total of four microsun lights in the plane. two on each wing.

I am using the Duckworks blank bracket with the 1600s. One side is done, about to finish the other side. It looks like it will work nicely. I installed the Duckworks brackets back when the leading edge was still in clecoes. Adding the AeroLED brackets recently was relatively easy.

Not flying with it yet, so I can't say how the lighting will appear.

Last edited:
We also bough the blank Duckwork's kit and are using it with the 1600's in the -3. Louise built up angle brackets to support the lights and riveted these to the backplate of the Duckworks mounts - we did elect to mount them closer to the leading edge than the drawings showed for the -3 because it seemed to give us better light. We can't really swivel the Duckworks backplate in this location, but the lights swivel in the angle brackets, so we have a wide range of aiming possibilities.

Paul

While my RV8 is still a long way from flying, however I used the Duckworth's Blank Kit and the AeroLED 'MicroSun' lights and it worked out quite well.

About the only tricky part I had was cutting the blank, and for that job I used a small reciprocating air-powered saw that I puchased at Harbor Freight for about $20.00.

I hope this helps!

I received my Duckworks Blanks last week and orderd the SunRay Plus Led's yesterday. They use a little less power and have more candela. They will be a little more difficult to aim but, I'm sure I can work it out.