MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I have an 0-360-A1A powered RV-8 (no inverted fuel/oil).

I am wondering what aerobatics other RV-8 pilots do and do not do.

Cuban-8s?
Stall turns (hammerheads)?
Spins?
Immelmanns?
Snap Rolls?

I pretty much do the basic stuff (rolls, loops etc.) but am wondering what others do.

thanks,

bruce
N297NW

Most "gentleman" aerobatics are fine in the -8. However I would avoid snaprolls and tail slides. They are "hard" on the tail feathers. I have done most all others in my -6. You only need inverted systems for sustained inverted flight.

Note that I do not have an inverted oil system...

MSFT-1 said:
Cuban-8s?
Yup, except I don't really "pin" the nose while on the down 45. The roll on the down line is +G.

MSFT-1 said:
If I do a "proper" hammerhead the oil pressure drops. So the "hammerheads" I do are +G and would not score very well! :eek:

MSFT-1 said:
Yup. I do 'em for recurrent practice rather than part of a sequence.

MSFT-1 said:
Immelmanns?
Yup, but again...without inverted oil, I need to keep it +G. Kinda ugly from a scoring perspective, but still fun even when it's +G.

MSFT-1 said:
Snap Rolls?
Haven't done 'em, not interested in stressing my VS.

MSFT-1 said:
Cuban-8s?
Spins?
Immelmanns?
Snap Rolls?
Do - Cubans, reverse Cubans, Stall turns, loops, spilt-S, 4 pt roll, aileron roll, barrell roll, snap roll, spins

Never do - tailslides, accelerated snaps, anything greater than 3.5 g's (personal limit).

My -8 has no negative fuel or oil, so all my inverted is modified to maintain at least a fraction of positive or zero at worst. The aileron rolls are arced. I never enter a Split-S beyond 60-65-mph. I never spin or snap with a passenger or with greater than 50% fuel. The downsides of my cubans are not negative as I will "wallow" them out with aileron and rudder. Enter spins at near stall speed (don't forget the opposite aileron to get it wound up nicely). Snaps at stall +10 or so.

Disclaimer - Bruce - Since I don't know your RV experience, I'm not judging. But be darn sure you are up to this stuff. The plane speeds up *very fast* headed downhill and is not particularly suited for rolling g's, IMO.

Otherwise, it's a wonderful "Sunday" aerobatic plane.

Bryan Jones CFII/MEI, -8, ~815 hrs
Houston