[email protected]

Well Known Member
Suddenly a nice day so I strapped in for some light aerobatics with the beast. Nothing fancy but lots of fun.

Although the Dynon Skyview lags just a bit it performs quite well in rolling and recovers very quickly when it tumbles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvYsBxhzko
screenshot20101219at105.png

Cool video, just what I needed before I go to work.
All we need now is that G meter dynon.... hint, hint.
The only Aero I will be doing today is me upside down under my panel :eek:

Did it tumble in this video?

First, a great video, makes me want to learn acro a bit more.

But did it tumble in this video, I looked and could not detect it. I am more interested as I have done some rolls and loops and spin in mine and was looking to see if my GRT tumbles and it did not. Now I am wondering if it did and I simply missed it.

Anyway, great video, thx.

not really a tumbling gyro...

since the sensors are all electronic there is not really a tumbling gyro... but there is a bit of drift in the display of the horizon when it flips orientation when rolling over the top of a loop, especially if there is some uncoordinated yaw at the flip over point. I have seen horizon display errors of 30 degrees or so that will correct back pretty quickly. If everything is well coordinated there is very little drift.

the track is for the sunshade.

While an AHRS driven EFIS can tumble, I saw no evidence of a tumble in the video.

Take an AHRS connected to any EFIS and power it up and while hand holding it, jerk or move it faster than its saturation point...the EFIS display will tumble or become very obviously disconnected...

The real test for EFIS systems is to see how quickly they can return to a non tumbled state and what hoops you have to jump thru to get them back to normal.

As a point of personal preference, I did not like that the ground always appeared in the display - to me it seemed that it mis-represented pitch by doing so.

I would prefer an image of a 3-d globe - but naturally they didn't ask me when they wrote the software!

:D

The fact that the "ground" stays on the screen is pretty universally done in modern EFIS systems and is considered a great advantage in recovery from unusual attitudes. When this happens the synvis is not still shown, just brown or blue, and the horizon line goes dashed.

Not 100% sure what you mean by a "3-D Globe" but our EFIS presentation is pretty unique in that we actually do show horizon lines as if you were inside a sphere. As you pitch up you can actually see rings of constant pitch. Our research also says this is a lot more intuitive than the standard straight lines.

All attitude indicator

The F-4 Phantom, and I'm sure others, had a spherical mechanical presentation that would show all attitudes. During a loop, it would show the pitch right up to 90 degrees, then quickly "flip" and show the pitch coming back down again. Also showed the heading at all times. AJB-3, if I recall.

We could (and did) do night acro on the AJB-3. Yes, I was younger and crazier at the time. :rolleyes: