CarlBellingan

I'm New Here
Does anyone have experience putting aerobatic props (with counter weights) onto any RV models (I have a 7)? I have a Hartzell C2YK-4BF 7666A that I would like to use, problem is that the spinner interferes with the counter weights on the blades, so I would need a different spinner.

Vans couldn't help but suggested that the prop may be too heavy any way.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.

It can be done

I put an aerobatic prop on my RV-8 because it came with the engine. Hartzell came up with a spinner they thought would work, I beleive it was from a Cardinal (sorry, I don't have the model number handy and I just put it back on following the condition inspection!). I had to cut it down to fit the RV backplate and not extend back into the cowling. Tom Clark used the same prop / spinner on his 8. He made large modifications to his cowling to make it work.

Give the tech guys at Hartzell a call. They may have a better solution by now.

Scott A. Jordan
N733JJ
765 hours

aerobatic propeller

Does anyone have experience putting aerobatic props (with counter weights) onto any RV models (I have a 7)? I have a Hartzell C2YK-4BF 7666A that I would like to use, problem is that the spinner interferes with the counter weights on the blades, so I would need a different spinner.

Vans couldn't help but suggested that the prop may be too heavy any way.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.

MT Propeller has the counterweighted blade (aeobatic) propeller with the spinner installed at the factory to match your cowl installation.
The 3 blade counterweighted MT Propeller assembly weighs the same as a standard 2 blade Hartzell propeller assembly.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

Turns out that I may need to replace the hub on this prop anyway so this is becoming mute (and expensive) But I would rather get an aerobatic prop as a replacement. Jim, what governor did you use on your MT? I have the MT governor from vans and it won't work on the the C2YK-4BF.

Oh Scott, Hartzell did come back to me with spinner options but they were $2222 which seems excessive. Thanks for the lead though.

aerobatic propeller governor

Turns out that I may need to replace the hub on this prop anyway so this is becoming mute (and expensive) But I would rather get an aerobatic prop as a replacement. Jim, what governor did you use on your MT? I have the MT governor from vans and it won't work on the the C2YK-4BF. (stuff cut)

MT Propeller USA in Florida (386-736-7762) can work with you on the governor for an (aerobatic) counterweighted blade propeller.

If they can not convert your existing governor, they have low time exchange governors available.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

I have a brand new Jhophsri (sp?) governor still in the vacumn wrap for a counterweighted MT prop sitting on my shelf. It sells for $1200 new and I would let it go for $950. It is the same governor I have on my engine and I am using the 3-blade MT counterweighted prop. I bought another Rocket kit from another builder and the governor came with it, but I already had one. Drop me a PM if you are interested.