edsong

Well Known Member
I have an HC-C2YR-4CF/FC8477A-4 Prop. It has the 14" aluminum spinner. The spinner is about an inch and 3/8 closer to the motor than the van's spinner. Im worried about fitting the cowl with the horizontal filter scoop. Just wondering if anybody ever used a counterweighted prop on the 8. Vans spinner won't fit over the counterweights.

Last edited:
ask Scott Jordan

Ed, Scott Jordan (N733JJ on VAF) did this on his RV-8. Told me that he had to cut down the spinner somehow. He wrote an article for Sport Aerobatics about his first season competing in IAC Sportsman Category competition. I think you can find the article on www.IAC52.org

Best regards,

I've got an MT 3-blade counterweighted prop on my RV-8 (model MTV-12-B-C/C183-59b). The prop price includes a custom spinner - you provide the dimensions. Mine has a 13" spinner (same diameter as Van's spinner) that has the same aft edge location as a spinner on the Hartzell that Van sells. You do give up perhaps 5 kt of cruise perf with this prop, as compared to a Hartzell.

A real pain

Ed,
As pointed out, I did this ten years ago. I cut the spinner down to the point that the stock backing plate fit the spinner, about 1 inch if I remember correctly. It was then necessary to fit the forward bulkhead, moving it forward on the prop with about 1" worth of spacers. This required some careful measuring to drill to fit.

The problem is that even though the back plate "fit", the flange does not have the same angle as the spinner so there is a slight gap. After about 700 hours a crack developed around the prop opening at the prop opening. I attribute this to the fact that the spinner does not fit flush to the flange. A small weld on the spinner lasted another 100 hours or so.

I am now working on my second fiberglass spinner that I molded from the aluminum one (not happy with the first). Unfortunately, my mold broke in the process so I will not be making any more.

If you are good with glass there is another option. Tom Clark used the same prop and spinner but performed major surgery to the cowl and got a great fit.

Or, go with the MT.

Scott

Giving up

I've decided to go with a different prop. Adding the dampner and making my own spinner is just going to ad time and weight to an already heavy prop. I haven't seen any posts about anybody using Hartzell's new composite prop yet.
I'd like to use the 76" prop but van's only sells the 72" and 74"prop. I'd give up a little top speed for short field and aerobatic performance. Ground clearance looks to be better than my Pitts anyway.

You might look at Whirlwind aviation's 200C prop. Counterweighted, 77 inches and comes with the spinner.

Whirlwind

I've looked at the Whirlwind 200C but they want a teardown every year!! Hartzell is 6 years and they(Maxwell) are within driving distance for me in case I need service.