N788RV

Does anyone have a good all inclusive list of what aerobatic maneuvers the RV-8 is capable with inverted fuel and oil. I'm about ready to start my phase 1 flight tests. I don't want to leave anything out.

Let's see, there is the "Whatchamacallit", the "HowdidIdothat?", and the "I'LLNEVERDOTHATAGAIN!" for starters....:)

Here is a few:

Aileron Roll
Barrel Roll
Loop
Split-S
Immelman
Clover leaf
Cuban 8
Inverted flight

All of the above can be flown within +3 to -1 G flight.

I would omit:

Knife edge flight (oil pick up issue)
Snap roll (depending on entry airspeed)
Outside loop (hard on you)
Hammer head (this one might be ok but could turn into something else at the top)
Tail slide
Spins
Intentionally extended Zero G flight (oil issue, oil valve check ball)

Sorry, I have to ask why you would omit Spins? Does the 8 have an issue in that area or is that a personal preference?

Regards,

Here is a few:

Aileron Roll
Barrel Roll
Loop
Split-S
Immelman
Clover leaf
Cuban 8
Inverted flight

All of the above can be flown within +3 to -1 G flight.

I would omit:

Knife edge flight (oil pick up issue)
Snap roll (depending on entry airspeed)
Outside loop (hard on you)
Hammer head (this one might be ok but could turn into something else at the top)
Tail slide
Spins
Intentionally extended Zero G flight (oil issue, oil valve check ball)

Sorry, I have to ask why you would omit Spins? Does the 8 have an issue in that area or is that a personal preference?

Regards,

I would like to know as well. From what I have read the -8 has been spin tested and no issues found. The RVator had a nice article about the British "FAA" required flight test. The test report was included and how the aircraft behaved predictably and recovered well in spins. If I remember correctly the test required 8 revolutions.

Does anyone have a good all inclusive list of what aerobatic maneuvers the RV-8 is capable with inverted fuel and oil. I'm about ready to start my phase 1 flight tests. I don't want to leave anything out.

Your acro needs to come at the END of phase I or later.
Your operating limitations should state, "Aerobatics shall not be attempted until sufficient flight experience has been gained to establish that the aircraft is satisfactorily controllable and in compliance with part 91.319(b)."

On Spins,

Personal preference. I'm not afraid of them, in fact I taught them in the USAF as a T-37 IP. No I'm not claiming any issue with the aircraft and spins. I just don't think they are needed in the aerobatic test phase.

In the aircraft handling, I would like to see pilot proficiency in:

Nose high, nose low, power on, power off, straight, turning, 1G and accelerated stalls.

Nose high and nose low recoveries.

Recognition and recovery from imminent spins with a spin prevent and recovery after 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

The pilot proficiency should be attained BEFORE the test phase, so that would mean different airplane. Don't attempt to test fly a new airplane and gain proficiency at the same time.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I knew the basics but wasn't sure on some of the inverted stuff and what the plane could do. I can't wait to start flying. Got a three ship in the area and can't wait to be a fourth. Where did you fly T-37s at? I went to UPT at Reese AFB.