jpowell13

Well Known Member
I need recommendations for aerobatic instructors in or near Louisiana. I'm a beginner with parachute. John

IAC

The IAC just ran a 50% off membership deal, it may still be going on. Good organization with lots of good info and contacts.

You didn't say, but if you are planning to do acro training in an RV, make sure the person you use is in fact RV familiar. I.e., making sure they really have flown RVs, not outright lying or exaggerating their experience base. Have seen this happen before.

Why don't you check with Team Aerodynamix?

Since you already have a license, your acro instructor doesn't need to be a CFI and they don't need to sign your log book but because they have their Commercial ticket they can accept payment.

Search for Ron Schreck, sometime in the past year he was putting together an RV based Acro class.

I feel like this should be followed by a pretty good story...
Not really. No bent metal resulted. Just know of instances where people have heavily embellished their experience base in order to get their foot in the door in various situations. It's one thing to enhance the experience base to ferry a plane or sit in the right seat for a leg. But another to go "teach" someone acro in a slippery plane that can have it's wings removed relatively easily.

Thanks Bill and Bryan. It's surprising how few acro teachers there are in this area. Several used to but are no longer active. I guess a shortage of suitable planes for instruction is the issue. John

Since you already have a license, your acro instructor doesn't need to be a CFI and they don't need to sign your log book but because they have their Commercial ticket they can accept payment.

Is that really correct? Does that apply to IFR instruction, multi instruction, etc etc as well? Just wondering why those categories of CFI exist....

Charlie

Is that really correct? Does that apply to IFR instruction, multi instruction, etc etc as well? Just wondering why those categories of CFI exist....

Charlie

There is no aerobatic rating (In the US, anyway), thus you don't need an instructor to sign your log book.

For example, I have checked out a number of friends in my -9 who needed X number of hours in type but did not need X number of hours instruction in type. I did not charge, not even fuel. They were able to log the time but I wasn't. Since they already had their tailwheel indorsements, I didn't need to sign anything.

No argument there, but what if you'd charged them? Would that be legal, without both Commercial & CFI on your ticket? Even if you'd been in a 'factory' plane?

If you don't sign their log book, you are not "instructing" and since you have a Commercial, you can charge for your time but not the plane. There is not much difference between being paid to perform acro at an airshow but don't take my word for it, check your FSDO. Or just do it and don't post it on FB or VAF.