hawkpdx

Hi
Ive done a few rolls in my RV-3A. I start them at about 140 indicated and they seem to work out fine! None ever show more than 2.5 on the G-meter. What entry speeds do other RV-3 pilots fly various maneuvers. Loops, rolls, hammerheads and such?? Thanks.
Ed Hawkins
Troutdale Oregon

Hi
Ive done a few rolls in my RV-3A. I start them at about 140 indicated and they seem to work out fine! None ever show more than 2.5 on the G-meter. What entry speeds do other RV-3 pilots fly various maneuvers. Loops, rolls, hammerheads and such?

2.5 Gs for a roll? I seldom see much over 1. I typically see 2.5 for a loop. I usually use around 130 kts/150 mph IAS for entry to most maneuvers.

Last edited:
acro

if you pitch up to get your feet at the horizon then release the back pressure then roll you will feel no g forces and end up level after the roll is completed. my acro series during test flights were entered at 150 kts indicated for all maneuvers. to prep for a loop, which i have done a few, pitch up to a 45 degree up line, when speed reaches 70 mph roll inverted and pull out of the second half of a loop. split s. have fun and get some instruction first. not a great thing to try to teach your self. like formation flying.

maneuvers and g-loading

Tomorrow makes 2 weeks of RV-8A flying for me. I did receive transition training on all maneuvers including loops and rolls. Additionally, I have found the historical RVator articles on aerobatics quite helpful. Most notably Van's "An Aerobatic Epistle" (1998).

I have found aileron rolls quite fine at Va (123kts). I have been starting loops at 150-160kts, although, I will try some slower entry speeds to get the feel for them. I have experienced some of the "possible problems" pointed out by Van (most notably the "too much back pressure nearing the top of the loop" which inevitably leads to an accelerated stall at or just past the vertex of the maneuver--no big problem, just something to fine tune).

I was trying some "break turns" yesterday, just to get the feel for higher g-loading on the airplane, and found that, starting at Va, I was unable to apply more than 3.5 g's in a 90-100 degree banked turn without experiencing the buffet of an accelerated stall. I'm not sure if the airplane may be having a higher instantaneous g onset (that the Dynon accelerometer is not picking up), which is causing the stall, or if it is just the nature of the airplane. I'm thinking about putting a simple g meter in to test that theory, unless someone else has more insight.

What are others' experiences with g-loading on the airplane?

Troy

Tomorrow makes 2 weeks of RV-8A flying for me. I did receive transition training on all maneuvers including loops and rolls. Additionally, I have found the historical RVator articles on aerobatics quite helpful. Most notably Van's "An Aerobatic Epistle" (1998).

I have found aileron rolls quite fine at Va (123kts). I have been starting loops at 150-160kts, although, I will try some slower entry speeds to get the feel for them. I have experienced some of the "possible problems" pointed out by Van (most notably the "too much back pressure nearing the top of the loop" which inevitably leads to an accelerated stall at or just past the vertex of the maneuver--no big problem, just something to fine tune).

I was trying some "break turns" yesterday, just to get the feel for higher g-loading on the airplane, and found that, starting at Va, I was unable to apply more than 3.5 g's in a 90-100 degree banked turn without experiencing the buffet of an accelerated stall. I'm not sure if the airplane may be having a higher instantaneous g onset (that the Dynon accelerometer is not picking up), which is causing the stall, or if it is just the nature of the airplane. I'm thinking about putting a simple g meter in to test that theory, unless someone else has more insight.

Troy

I have found that pulling hard at that low of speed will give you a stall buffet right around 3.5 G's. At the upper end of the green arc the angle of attack is lower per G and you can get higher G's before you feel any buffet.

You're correct..

Troy

..in your assesment. I've taught accelerated stalls in my -6A often and the G-meter usually shows around 3 g's and a pronounced buffet, but if the ball is mostly centered, there won't be any snap-rolling tendencies. Very honest little airplanes.

Regards,