Bought one at OSH

I bought one at OSH . . . installed it a few weeks ago. Used it once since then, but no real wind activity. Overall I like the design very much. On my 9 I needed to elongate the screw holes for the bracket that attached to the spar to achieve correct orientation of the spring loaded locks to the pedals. After initial install, normal operation takes a couple minutes to fit. I like the fact that there is a bit of pre-loading on the surfaces, but not rock solid . . . plenty enough to keep your control surfaces from banging. Thumbs up for this one:)

Looking for input from anyone that is using the Aero Gust Buster. Are there any in use near Columbia, SC?

Last edited:
I purchased one at Oshkosh this year as well. It was a bit of a pain to install the bracket for the bungee cords that goes behind the seat hinges. I ended up using screw eyes screwed into bottom aluminum angle of the panel at each corner of the panel for the bungee cords for the elevators and ailerons.
I have not had the a/c in significant wind yet either. The design appears sound and when in place all control surfaces are held in position nicely with just a little give.

Peter K
9A-405 hrs

How about Brat buster

Im planning on installing one, but not so much for winds. I think I'll tell people that ask me, its called the Brat Buster.

I've been around antique cars and airplanes for most of my life and it always amazes me the things I see people do to someone elses Pride and Joy.

I was at a flyin earlier this year walking down a line of planes behind a young family with three younger boys. I couldnt believe what the parents were letting their kids do around and on others airplanes. I hung back and gently scolded the boys a few times. I had just about thought they were getting the point and was heading on when I hear this incredible banging. I look back and one of the boys has hold of an aileron on a low wing and is banging it up and down from stop to stop as fast and hard as he can!! Both parents were standing nearby smiling, acting like it was cute. Obviously I REALLY lost my cool. (what followed wasn't pretty or cordial but they did leave)

And its not just kids or non-aviation folks.

I usually do the rudder pin and seatbelt over the controls because Im always amazed to see pilots pull down a line of parked planes at a flyin and then see them cob the power hard to get it to turn and line up for parking. It usually bangs the rudder/elevator etc of what ever plane is parked backward to them. Same when they start up and pull out under power instead of hand pulling plane and rotating it before startup.

So, to make a short story long. .. thats why Im installing one. Wind gust protection will be nice.. . . stupid people protection is my primary reason! :D

This thing is still a control gust lock, right? And therefore loads on control surfaces because of gusts (or brats) will be carried through all the linkages/pushrod bearings. Whereas external gust locks do not transmit loads to control linkages.

Actually NO.

Its not a lock. Thats the point of the design. Loal's video explains why nicely.

Plenty of storm pics showing what happens when stuff gets overstressed or locks break.

I dont want my controls banging against the stops anymore than i want the skins creased or bent against a clamp.

You might think of the Gustbuster as a shock absorber, similar in concept to what is on your car. The purpose is to absorb the energy and dissipate any sudden impact.

For the aircraft, it doesn't matter whether te energy comes from wind or some jerk's kid. Either way, the energy is safely dissipated up to the point where damage would occur regardless of the control lock system chosen.

Vince,
Let us know when it becomes available for the RV-8 too. This looks like a great product. Thanks!