rv7plt

My oil cooler developed a severe leak. Does anyone know who has the best prices these days on Aero Classics?

John Henley, rv7, 475 hrs

rv7plt said:
My oil cooler developed a severe leak. Does anyone know who has the best prices these days on Aero Classics?

John Henley, rv7, 475 hrs

The Aero Classic is a very cheap experimental cooler and it's only vacuum brazed. You might like to pay a bit more and get a fully welded cooler such as an original Stewart Warner.....and get better cooling as well.

I don't know what the brand of the cooler that leaked was...but if it was an Aero Classic it might be best to go another route.

Niagara Air Parts is a distributor of Niagara oil coolers (former Harrison) units but has nothing to do with the company that manufactures the oil coolers themselves, oil coolers are built by (Niagara Thermal Products) niagarathermal.com in fact Niagara Air Parts is Canadian, not that there's anything wrong with that, they do promote a good product in the Niagara.

The Niagara units are also available through a number of other distributors but the network of finding them is difficult - a good representative is Bill Kay 419-239-8800...he can generally get factory direct in batch orders of 10 or more units and will stock the odd single unit as well. The guy's (Bill was one of them) that started Aero Classics were with original group that developed the Niagara in the early 80's when Harrison Radiator that had been building them since the 50's dropped the product line.

I can't say anything good about Pacific oil Cooler, they took over the rights to the Aero Classic name but their manufacturing, quality, reporting etc. most likely should be scrutinized closely by the FAA. I would stay away from those Aero Classic oil coolers.

Aircraft Spruce

Wildbill2805 said:
The Niagara units are also available through a number of other distributors but the network of finding them is difficult -
Are the oil coolers sold by Aircraft Spruce under the NDM name the same as Niagara ones?
They seem to have the same part numbers....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/ndm.php

Google answered my question - NDM = Niagara Development & Mfg.

So Aircraft Spruce is an easy to locate distributor... :)

gil in Tucson

oil cooler

I have the one that came with the FFW kit and the larger one. Finally went to the sw that Dan recomends. I'll sell you either one for half price. Mike Redd 541-892-5854