Waterskier

I'm New Here
Thinking of building a removable camera pod on the belly of an RV8. Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?
If I were to sell the photos later, is this considered commercial activity, and is it legal in an expermintal aircraft?

Thinking of building a removable camera pod on the belly of an RV8. Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?
If I were to sell the photos later, is this considered commercial activity, and is it legal in an expermintal aircraft?

No, Yes, Yes.

Check your FARAIM

CFR Part 61.133 specifies commercial privileges:

(a)(i) - definition of commercial activity is carrying persons or property for compensation.

Technically, aerial photography is not considered carrying persons or property. This is how it was explained to me by a former FAA Inspector/Employee during one of my BFR's.

However, I have operated an aerial photo business with a commercial license and a second class med just in case I ever encounter the feds that may interpret the CFR's in a different manner:eek:

A friend of mine make his living taking pictures...

...of tracts of timber land for the timber companies, with his Skyhawk and a camera mounted in the back, looking straight down.

He has a PPL and since he only charges them for the pictures and an accurate acreage, he's legal...been doing that for a dozen years now.

Best,

FAR 119.1 defines aerial photography as a commercial operation that can be a commercial operation that does not require a "operating certificate"

So YES! it is a commercial operation.

But...

If you go up and take a bunch of pictures and then sell them. = not commercial.

IF someone says: "got take a picture of this..., and I'll pay you this..." = Yes, commercial.

(disclaimer: just my opinion/interpretation)

Check your insurance

Just a heads up. My old policy (through AIG, now Chartis) excluded photo flights in very small print. Since I ALWAYS have a camera on board, I was concerned. I was told they intended the exclusion for commercial air to ground (note they said nothing about air to air) photography.

Scott A, Jordan
N733JJ
899 hours

I have an ATP & 1st. class, so I am not concerned about me, just the airplane. I am very new to expermintal aircraft and the restrictions associated with them.
As far as the pod goes, I am thining of creating attachment points on the belly, with an access pannel to run the control wires. The pod would be removeable, and would probably also make luggage pod too. Does anybody know anyone who builds reasioniable priced (Not Government/military/hollywood) remotly controlled camera mounts....

Thanks for the input guys!