PaulR

Well Known Member
I just tried to update the databases on my Aera 510 and it didn't work. Went through the fly.garmin site and all appeared to be good while purchasing but when I went to download it didn't recognize that the Aera was connected and now it doesn't even recognize the db's that were on it.

It told me to download some usb drivers which I did to no avail. First time trying to update on a Windows 7 machine.

Anyone else have any trouble or ideas? I'm going to try it at home on my XP machine and see if that makes any difference this evening but I'm pretty bummed. Big trip planned next week.

I had some trouble getting it to recognize my 396 too,,,try starting the garmin program first, then plug in the device to the port.

Did you plug it in the port that is behind the battery?

I just tried to update the databases on my Aera 510 and it didn't work. Went through the fly.garmin site and all appeared to be good while purchasing but when I went to download it didn't recognize that the Aera was connected and now it doesn't even recognize the db's that were on it.

It told me to download some usb drivers which I did to no avail. First time trying to update on a Windows 7 machine.

Anyone else have any trouble or ideas? I'm going to try it at home on my XP machine and see if that makes any difference this evening but I'm pretty bummed. Big trip planned next week.

Hello Paul,

I use a Windows 7 computer and FlyGarmin.com to update my Aera 560 and everything goes smoothly.

There is a FlyGarmin help page that might be of assistance to get your Garmin Communicator updated or give you additional ideas. There is a link you can click on to test your Garmin Communicator plug-in.

There is also a phone number at the top of that page to contact our Aviation Customer Support group. They have lots of experience helping customers through database update issues.

Let us know if we can help further.

Thanks,
Steve

Fixed!!

I got through on the phone line when all else failed and we fixed it PDQ!!! I forgot that Steve (g3expert) had helped me through an issue earlier this year that involved a different Aera and hadn't put that particular serial number unit in "mygarmin" yet so it didn't recognize the unit when I tried to update.

Thanks go out to the great service at Garmin!!!

Thanks for all the ideas!!!