jmbrwn

Well Known Member
I have one of Garmin's new Aera GPS's. I recently noticed that it is capable of displaying instrument approaches. Just happened to fly into a local airport and decided to try it out. Programmmed the ILS approach and got a localizer path displayed but did not get the G/S display. Does the Aera's not display G/S info on ILS approaches or did I do something wrong? Have researched on internet to no avail and was wondering if anyone out there has figured this out. Thanks in advance.

I have the AERA 510 and it does list the "approach" but it's not really the instrument approach. You can, kind of, sort of, use it for flying an ILS and GPS approach (practice only) but it's not great. Mine doesn't show the G/S either on the ILS. I think you could fool it by setting up the Vertical descent profile in the settings, but I haven't done that.

Tony is correct. It will only show you from the FAF to the MAP and it does not provide vertical info. You can use the VNAV to fake it but it is for fun only.

This would only be used for fun, as a backup or to augment a certified device for better situational awareness.

This capabity has been there all the way back to the 296.

I've set up my 396 for a few ILS approaches (for fun and familiarization), with a VNAV descent set up to mirror the ILS glideslope. As Stein warned me, a message pops up at about 500-600 feet AGL that says "Approaching Target"...and vertical guidance stops (VNAV needle goes away).

Does this also happen on the Aera?

I also found that the GPS altitude was consisitently a bit higher than actual, so I had to tweak the VNAV rate of decent a bit higher (steeper) to somewhat match the real ILS glideslope path. Definitely a trial and error thing, and a YMMV thing, of course.

As Brian said, all for fun, certainly not something I'd feel comfy in the clouds with at all. Even as an emergency let-down device, the above characteristics are pretty huge limitations, IMHO. Interested if the Aera is different or more precise.

Cheers,
Bob