uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Flying yesterday and after the recent firmware updates (and database updates) my Aera 760 is exhibiting a weird problem. If you try to select an airport from the map page the system goes into a slow mode where touches are slow to be recognized, scrolling is very slow, and charts take about 10 seconds to load. If the airport is selected from other sources such as the waypoint page or Direct To etc. the system works fine and selections, scrolling etc. all work as expected.

Symptoms are the same mounted in the aircraft or external as handheld and with BT on or off.

Anyone else seen this issue? Seems like a software issue and I am wondering if I should reinstall all of the software. Not sure you can roll back the firmware and back up the settings.
Any tips appreciated.
Figs

I am also having problems with my aera 760 after the recent software update to version 2.71.

Specifically, the map/weather screen update (refresh) when zooming in and out is extremely slow to the point of being unusable.

Also, during a flight yesterday, the 500' callout (audio) was severely delayed until I was about 5 feet above the runway. I know the aera is not a certified altimeter, but this callout has never been this far off. This was at my home field and not a new destination.

New 760 updated about six weeks ago. On a recent trip, I noticed it was not displaying TFR's or Restricted areas on the Map page. In at least one case it did display a text note stating a restricted area was near and ahead, but it was not graphically displayed.

I've not yet seriously investigated, other than ensuring the "TFR" touchscreen tab was lit (on).

ADSB-in device is a GDL50R.

Update

As an update I spent time with Garmin support and reloaded/updated everything with no change. they decided they wanted the unit back to look at the problem and sent me a replacement unit.
The replacement worked fine out of the box but when I updated the software and the databases the same problem returned.

As I figured out that the slow screen update only happened when selecting from the map page and not from the waypoint or nearest page I figured I could live with it until Oshkosh and would then go by Garmin to show the problem.

On Thursday June 15th my databases expired so I updated all the databases to the latest cycle (firmware still on 2.71) and lo and behold the unit seems to be working fine, 2 IFR flights yesterday and the unit worked exactly as required talking to the GNX375, pulling up charts, uploading frequencies etc.

Begining to think it is/was some kind of database corruption with the last cycle or with the download process.
Figs

Don't you love those updates that screw everything up? It seems like a common problem with many devices. I guess the validation is left to the customers these days.