JFWilson

Anybody useing this combo. I am building an RV-8 and am thinking about this combination. If so how are the engine cylindar head temps. Performance? etc.
Jim

Drop the 10/1

I would not use the 10 to 1 pistons. Drop to a max of 9 to 1 and have fun. I could go on and on as to why, but I'll spare you that. I'll just add that: I've been there and done that!

I would not use the 10 to 1 pistons. Drop to a max of 9 to 1 and have fun.

Agree 100%.

With 10:1 you may end up with a risk of detonation issues and/or short lifespan of exhaust valves, especially when 100LL fuel goes away. The red & white RV8 in my avatar has a cold-air-induction parallel valve ECI IO-360 with 9.2:1 and that's about the most compression you really want to run for longevity in that engine. It dynoed at 192hp @ 2700rpm when it was first run in at the shop where it was built. It's a really strong and smooth powerplant, CHT's have been running 340-360 degrees, with oil temps at 195-200 now that we've installed a SW 10599R oil cooler on it. Unless you're wanting to build an all out racing RV-8, I'd even recommend the parallel valve engine over the angle valve too. The weight savings on the nose will help out the plane's handling a fair amount.

CHT's

Jim, I have an angle valve IO-360 with 10.5 to 1 compression. 425 hours on the engine, 265 of that is in my RV-8. CHT's have never been an issue. The highest I have seen is about 380 in a long climb. In cruise usually in the 320 range. Oil temp however was another story, had to upgrade to a larger cooler now oil temps usually stay in the low 200's. BTW I would also stay away from the higher compression if possible.

Brad