gorbak

Well Known Member
Let me begin with thanking all that offer advise.

We have noticed that many a RV tip-up have a fit issue on the passenger side toward the front of the canopy. Mine sticks out further on the passenger side (starboard side) more than the acceptable fit (flush) on the pilot side (port side).

What advise can this great group provide for me to correct this issue? :confused:

We have not fiberglassed the canopy in place but everything else is complete. We are willing to redrill/cut/splice/bend/whatever works to make this acceptable. I intend on flying this bird for the rest of my life and refuse to take shortcuts or accept an unacceptable fit.
Thanks again for your advice and information.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV9-A 942 PT (reserved)

Have you riveted it together yet? Also, if you could post a picture that would really help us understand the problem.

Canopy is riveted

Photo of problem not available at this time as I am in Ozark, MO and I am building in Wichita, KS. Canopy is off the plane right now also. It sticks out about 3/16" past the side (at the longeron) just on the startboard side.

Patrick N. Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV9-A 942PT (reserved)

Patrick if I'm following you here and you are saying the frame and skin itself are hangin out over the edge of the longeron. You can bend the frame downward from the hinge tab outwards. The frame is very soft and easy to bend. I too had to bend mine slightly early on. After riveting the skin onto the frame is when I realized what needed to be done. Shown in this pic was somewhat my issue. It also did not come down and meet the side skin of the Fuselage. Bending the frame did the trick.

-Jeff

FUSELAGE%20453.jpg

Jeff's right

Hi Patrick,

What you can do is bending the right front part slightly to each other by applying pressure between the right hinge horn and the outside of the frame with a large "vise-clamp for wood" (i don't know the American name :confused: ) You'll have to overdo it a bit (but very carefully) because the frame will go for 80% back to its original position. Also take care you do not pull in the back sides too much; you may have to keep them apart with a wood block or similar.

Jeff is onto something here

Jeff,
You have the exact picture of what I am talking about. The primary issue is where the skin/frame (don't) line up at the longeron. We also have the nagging slightly high spot identical as in your photo.
So you bent the frame? I have the skin and braces all on. Did you bend yours with skin and braces already in place? How did you do that without damaging precious metal??

You have done what I need to do. Thank you so much for walking me thru this issue Jeff.

Others have used the wooden clamps?

Patrick N. Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV9-A 942PT (reserved)

I bent mine once it was completely riveted together. Of course this is when the problem surfaced. You can carefully place both hinge arms on the edge of a table and push down and inward the side that needs adjustment. I found this assembly bends very easily so take your time and make small attempts. Measure the total width of the Canopy frame before you begin. If possible measure the distance across while you are pushing and this gives you a reference as to how much force you were applying. This way you can continue bending it a little more each time if needed. It is also easier to have someone holding the aft end up while you do the bending. Good luck!

-Jeff

Thank you Jeff

This is what we will very carefully do to bring the one side into position. It is deceiving to look at with the bracing and skin on. One would not think you could shape very well.
We want this to look really good. What a benefit to have individuals willing to share their personal experiences.
Thank you for the information.

Patrick N. Garboden/Todd Wiechman building in Wichita, KS
Ozark, MO
RV9-A 942PT (reserved) Tip Up
RV9-A 942WG (reserved) Slider

Thank you Jeff

This is what we will very carefully do to bring the one side into position. It is deceiving to look at with the bracing and skin on. One would not think you could shape very well.
We want this to look really good. What a benefit to have individuals willing to share their personal experiences.
Thank you for the information.

Patrick N. Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV9-A 942PT (reserved) Tip Up
RV9-A 942WG (reserved) Slider