Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Helping someone with an RV6A, 200hp Lycoming and Sensenich wood prop.
The number on the prop is W71T5HMN-85G.
Can someone please help me with the torque value to use on this as well as a simple factor to use when using a crow foot on my torque wrench. As the nuts are on the back of the crank flange I cannot get in with a socket and will have to use a crow foot and I am of the opinion that the values will change.

I don't have my reference for the needed torque values but when using a crows foot as long as you orient the foot 90 degrees to the wrench you do not need a correction factor since the moment is the same distance from handle to center of rotation. If you orient the crows foot straight you'll need a correction which you can figure out by equating the ratio of torque/wrench length = corrected torque/(wrench length + crows feet length) and solve for corrected torque. Make sense? At least this is how I would do it...

Thanks Ken,
So with the standard crow foot, resembling a very short open end spanner with a square hole at the back, makes it a "straight orientation" and I will calculate the difference. ;)

Yes Jan if you orient the crows foot in a straight line with the handle you'll need to calculate the new torque value. But if you install the crows foot such that its open face is 90 degrees to the handle no correction is needed. I try to use it in the 90 deg position more often than not.

Torque values..

Right out of good ole AC 43-13..

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/99c827db9baac81b86256b4500596c4e/$FILE/Chapter%2007.pdf

Pgs 7 on has the answers about torques and formula's and such