prkaye

Well Known Member
Due to a dimpling mishap, and then to a grinder mishap, I have to problem spots on my left elevator, both involving stiffeners. I really hope I don't have to re-do the elevator, but if it won't pass my Canadian pre-cover inspection, better to know now.

Photo1 (attached) shows the result of the grinding mishap (actually coupled with a dimpling mishap). Long story short... I had to make the rivet at the end of this stiffener an AD4 rivet. I also cut the end of the stiffener too short, and as you can see there is a very small edge clearance between the end rivet and the end of the stiffener.

Photo 2 shows the result of the dimpling mishap on the opposite side of the elevator. A second hole ended up getting punched through the skin. I drilled this hole out and put quite a large rivet (5 or 6) into that hole, not to attach anything but just to fill the hole. As you can see there is minimal clearance between this filler rivet and the end rivet of the stiffener (which I haven't set yet).

Opinions? Is this serious irrepairable damage that requirees me to buy and build a replacement elevator? Is it OK the way it is, or is there another patch-job I should do? Will this pass Canadian pre-cover inspection?

Thanks!
Phil
(slowly learning but still making mistakes)

photo1
photo2

Did you cut the stiffner short to allow room for the patch rivet? I would get a longer stiffner and fill the mistake hole with bondo or some other filler. I would also guess that most people would just let it be. You will probably make more of these mistakes throughout the build.

Phil,,, send these pics and the question to Dale. he used to inspect, so he would be able to tell you how it will affect your inspection. BTW, I've ordered my inspection from MDRA and I'm awaiting their paperwork,,,, we should try and time the inspections for the same time (another fella building and RV6 wants his done too) and maybe we can all save some cash

Mike

match-drilling

In trying to improve the situation, I made it worse. Definately getting a new skin now. My ribs and spar are fine... but they were match-drilled to the old skin and dimpled. Can I get away without getting a new spar and ribs, and forego the match-drilling with the new skin (i.e. just enlarge and dimple the holes in the new skin without match-drilling)?

Put a picture of your skin up. Chances are the skin isn't as bad as you think it is. We cut our elevator skin when we took it off the Horizontal. It opened up like a tin can. We put a backer plate up against it and put bondo on it. I don't think anybody will ever notice it.