Nomex Maximus

Well Known Member
Just wondering...

I am aware of the discussions about RVs on turf fields. However, could some of you give me your opinions of whether doing the initial test flights from a turf field would be wise or do-able?

Thanks

JCB

I need more info. Nose or tail dragger? Length & condition of runway? Have you walked it to look for gopher holes, ect? Have you flowen off this strip before?

Having said that, I prefer grass, but RV's love pavement too.

Initial flight test conditions should maximize the chance of success (minimize bad outcomes). This includes many things to include checking all appropriate connections, your experience, weather and runway condition. Are you adding unneeded risk just for convenience?

We already had one 7A damaged recently because the pilot used a turf strip that was unsuitable.

Initial flight test conditions should maximize the chance of success (minimize bad outcomes). This includes many things to include checking all appropriate connections, your experience, weather and runway condition. Are you adding unneeded risk just for convenience?

We already had one 7A damaged recently because the pilot used a turf strip that was unsuitable.

Yeah, I guess I see your point. I just hate having to drive 20-30 miles to get to the airplane.

I am building a 7A. I have no turf experience.

Anyhow, the field that was in question: http://www.airnav.com/airport/41c

2,200 feet is short for a first flight, unless you are very current in the same make and model of airplane you are about to test fly, IMHO.

My airport is paved 2,300' x 30' and all I did was take off and fly to a 5,500 foot paved runway for the first landing after flying around for 1/2 an hour getting the feel of it.

After an inspection I flew it back to my home base and did a text book perfect landing.

Your 7A will easily accelerate and stop on a 2,200 paved runway but grass has a lot of variables (Length, roughness, wet, etc.)

I just hate having to drive 20-30 miles to get to the airplane.

Don't take offense. But I can massage your comment to say "I don't want to land to check the dark skies ahead." or "I don't want to make a fuel stop since I think I have enough to get to my destination." or "I have to keep going or I will miss work."

I am not making your decision for you but around 75% of fatal accidents are attributable to pilot error.

Foot stomp.

I'm sure it is do-able. Wise (or safe) probably depends on a lot of other factors.

I am aware of the discussions about RVs on turf fields. However, could some of you give me your opinions of whether doing the initial test flights from a turf field would be wise or do-able?

I am building a 7A. I have no turf experience.

I would minimize the number of things that are unfamiliar to you for your first flight. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do what you want to do, but take the time to prepare yourself.... Get some experience with turf runways (specifically the one you want to use). Become very comfortable on turf. And when you do 7A transition training fly that on and off of a turf runway too, preferably the same turf runway that you want to use for your first flight. As someone else suggested, you can take off from there if you are comfortable doing so and then make your first landing somewhere else. There are plenty of things that can go wrong on your first flight; skew the odds in your favor as much as possible.

(take this for what it is: free advice from someone who's never done this before either...)

I would encourage you to find an EAA FLight Advisor in your area. It's a really great program that can help identify ALL of the variables specific to you and your airplane to insure a safe first flight.

Vic

Just wondering...

Thanks

JCB

We've had quite a few first flights on our grass strip, amongst that two RV's in the past two years. To me it doesn't make a bit of difference, RV's are well at home on either (paved or grass).

Based on your experience, I would not recommend turf. Would you be comfortable with a dead stick on departure at this location?

Long runways, emergency equipment, access to help, are just a few of the things to consider. Give yourself the best options for success. Plan for the best, expect the worse.

Best,

Based on your experience, I would not recommend turf. Would you be comfortable with a dead stick on departure at this location?

Long runways, emergency equipment, access to help, are just a few of the things to consider. Give yourself the best options for success. Plan for the best, expect the worse.

Best,

Agree with everything Kahuna says (and what is he doing up at 4:30am?)
Removing the wings and trailering to a larger runway only takes a day or two.

When my friend Jay Pratt does first flights, he orbits nearby Copeland field (3 runways). It's hard to put into words the pressure that must take off your shoulders (at least it does for me when I fly chase for him).

b,
dr

Best,

My test flight will be coming in the next month or so. I am doing it at Savannah. Over 9000' on one runway and over 7000' on the other. The taxiways are bigger than most runways. The tarmacs are longer than most runways. There is a golf course , dump, and fields off the ends of the runways. And the biggest plus is a full time fire squad. Lots of people do it off grass fields and short runways. But I am just a wimp or cautious depending how you look at. Of course I have a never tested auto engine so I have to be extra careful.