MrNomad

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any experience with a product known as

The Stratomaster Ultra Horizon XL
The State of the Art in monochrome glass cockpit

Sold by www.SportFlyingShop.com

Looks similar to the Dynon product at a much lower cost.

Thanks.

Hey MrNomad,

I know the company since they are in my back yard, No experience on that product, but they have a new one in the pipeline that functionality wise kicks the Dynons but for the same price, Efis, engine monitor, GPS all in one colouer package for $2,000 - $3,000. I still haven't seen the thing in person but read about it over here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8422

Rudi

Last edited:
Not sure about your rules there but here in Finland it's required that the gauges (type not defined) should have color indications like green, (yellow) and red areas (I don't remember exact phrase how it's said there). There is currently one plane having monochrome display with special permission to gain information is this current rule up to date or can it be loosened. Yes you read right, we have only 5 million people here and just one plane has monochrome display so far. :)

I bought one of their CHT-EGT monochrome gages and I could barely read it in normal daylight. I am assuming they have changed the display, but look before you buy. I'm not trying to run down their product as it worked fine except for the display.

"...could barely read it in normal daylight"

rv9aviator said:
I bought one of their CHT-EGT monochrome gages and I could barely read it in normal daylight. I am assuming they have changed the display, but look before you buy. I'm not trying to run down their product as it worked fine except for the display.

That's what I'm afraid of. Dynon recently boosted their screen to make it more readable in sunlight. The acid test of the Dynon took place in Tucson. We rolled the plane into bright sunlight, opened the canopy to make it even harder on the unit, but I could still read it easily.

I'll check CHT-EGT to see if they addressed this issue which in an RV in the southwest, is kind of important.

Thank you.

rv9aviator said:

I have one of their CHT-EGT monochrome gages in an open cockpit microlight trike and I CAN read it in daylight.

I guess the best is to check it out yourself, People's perception and vision of what is acceptable is different.

Regards
Rudi

I have just visited Jeff's very nice website, and saw he is using some MGL Instuments, go here:
http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/PANEL.htm
Here is his panel with MGL instruments (Used without permision)
Maybe contact him and see what he thinks...
PANEL%20218.jpg

Kind Regards
Rudi

Rudi, the screens appear to have a green background in the picture. Mine had a gray background. They may have changed the screens over the last couple of years.

Check With Tony Spicer

I believe that these are recommended over in the Sonex land and pretty popular... You might check with some of those folks. It seems like a pretty good VFR setup if it is indeed reliable and readable.

Unfortunately, compared to this website, the one that the Sonex folks use (Yahoo, I think) really doesn't compare.

Tony has/had? a Sonex, and I believe is also on this site from time to time.

dj