szicree

Well Known Member
I'm fabricating wing root fairings for my 4 in the metal strip style (as opposed to the fiberglass fillet style) and I have a possibly stupid question: Is the fairing only attached at the wing root? I know there is a rubber gasket that slips between the fairing and the fuse side skin, but are there any fasteners there? It seems like, if not, the air would push the underside upward into the wing root gap. What's the deal? :confused:

Well Steve, that's the way they are on an -8 - they only attach to the wing, and float on the fuselage. Of course, on the bottom, they only go back as far as the spar, so there isn't much distance for them to get flexible and collapse upward. I think the fact that they are only a couple of inches wide makes the flexibility moot -the total deflection is just to small.

Paul

Yes........

Hi Steve,
Paul's correct in that they only get attached to the wing. A tip from one who just did this.......be sure that the strips fit within a quarter of an inch of the fuselage so that the rubber bends upwards against the fuselage, sealing it tightly. They don't even need glue to hold them onto the trim strips with a close fit. I believe a tight fit helps your speed as well, :)