PandaCub

Well Known Member
My relative and namesake, John V. "Scarsdale Jack" Newkirk, was Squadron Leader of the famous Flying Tigers during World War II (he was KIA in 1942, so I never actually met him).

I recently bought a flying RV-8 with the idea of keeping Jack's memory alive by marking it up to resemble, as closely as practical, his Curtiss-Wright P-40 Warhawk. I had grand visions of stripping the existing paint from the -8 and cloning Jack's scheme, but the quotes and lead times I'm getting are in the stratosphere ($15K+ and two years' wait).

In the meantime, I thought I'd at least put on some vinyl. The toughest part, frankly, are the jaws. Shark's teeth on EABs are almost cliché these days, and the cowl of the -8 is very different from the P-40. I'm experimenting with a stock decal from Aerographics, but am not sure I like it, and it's easy to wrinkle vinyl on a curved cowl surface.

Can anyone recommend an artist who could at least paint on some decent shark's teeth? I'd appreciate ideas on this - as well as any other aspect of this project.

Attachments

• AVG Newkirk.jpg
    AVG Newkirk.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2995.jpeg
    IMG_2995.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2993.jpeg
    IMG_2993.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 163

Attachments

• M's am Lizzy rear view.jpg
    M's am Lizzy rear view.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 156
  • L's am side best.jpg
    L's am side best.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I think your sharks mouth graphics work well considering they are stuck on.

Like Mike says though, talk to John Stahr - he is the perfect artist to make something like this possible. If you don’t want to go the whole repaint route, maybe strip and repaint the cowls to have the P-40 paint scheme on the nose, and then have that ‘blended’ into the aircrafts’ existing paint scheme, like it’s peeling off to reveal a warbird underneath?

I think your sharks mouth graphics work well considering they are stuck on.

Like Mike says though, talk to John Stahr - he is the perfect artist to make something like this possible. If you don’t want to go the whole repaint route, maybe strip and repaint the cowls to have the P-40 paint scheme on the nose, and then have that ‘blended’ into the aircrafts’ existing paint scheme, like it’s peeling off to reveal a warbird underneath?

I think that’s a great idea! Would look very cool!