Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi.
I installed a VOR antenna in the VS tip.
I will use a GNS430W and so I will need a coupler, which I bought.
I already routed the coaxial from the tail up to the panel.
Now, I was suggested to place a connection just in front of the tail, to ease the possibility of removing the VS without taking off all the coaxial.
I will also have to add the coupler. And so the breaks are two.

If I take the opportunity to install the coupler just in front of the tail, I will only have one line interruption. But I will have to add a second coaxial, which means a lot of new holes, etc...

So, I would like to have advice on this. Would be 2 interruptions OK for a VOR or will I lose too much signal?

Thanks.
Camillo

At under 0.2 dB loss...

Hi.
I installed a VOR antenna in the VS tip.
I will use a GNS430W and so I will need a coupler, which I bought.
I already routed the coaxial from the tail up to the panel.
Now, I was suggested to place a connection just in front of the tail, to ease the possibility of removing the VS without taking off all the coaxial.
I will also have to add the coupler. And so the breaks are two.

If I take the opportunity to install the coupler just in front of the tail, I will only have one line interruption. But I will have to add a second coaxial, which means a lot of new holes, etc...

So, I would like to have advice on this. Would be 2 interruptions OK for a VOR or will I lose too much signal?

Thanks.
Camillo

...per connector, 2 extra connections will be no problem if properly constructed with good quality, name brand connectors.

Note that the 0.2 dB loss is at 3 GHz, it will be less at our VHF frequencies.

Excellent

Excellent! Thank-you.
At the end of the construction, you can send me an invoice for all your advices! ;-)