panhandler1956

Well Known Member
I am seriously looking at buying a used RV-4 in the next several weeks and I can't seem to find much in the way of specific advice on what to look for (or stay away from).
I searched the archives and looked at the article here on this sight, but most everything is generic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brent

RV-4 section

Brent,
There's an RV-4 specific section here and you can use the search feature to dig out some info. The big things to watch out for are:

1. Cracked engine mounts/firewall damage
2. Sloshed fuel tanks (early airplanes).
3. Cracked control surfaces.

I'll suggest that you start by finding a local A&P who will work with you. As a buyer, you will need an A&P signoff at "annual" time. Many A&Ps are leery of working on homebuilts. All of them will have some personal opinions that you may not agree with. When you're asking a guy to sign his name in your logbook, you'lre going to have to do things his way (or find somebody else).

Next, you need to decide what kind of airplane you want/need. Are you looking for a 200HP firebreather or are you looking for a simple airplane that will be low maintenance ?

I assume you've had the opportunity to fly RVs already, so we'll skip that suggestion.

Then it's off to TAP, Barnstormers, etc. and be PATIENT.

Lastly, I'll make another oddball suggestion :). Try to agree on a price BEFORE you go to look at a plane. When you find a plane you like, call the seller and basically say that if the plane is as represented, it's worth $50k (for example) to me. I won't try to negotiate further based on the inpsection. If it's not up to snuff, I'll walk. Otherwise, the buyer knows he's going to get $50k and may be more willing to meet your price. This can save a lot of time, travel, expense and aggravation over a deal that's just not gonna happen.

Anyway, let us know if we can help and good luck.

John

John_RV4 said:
Brent,
There's an RV-4 specific section here and you can use the search feature to dig out some info. The big things to watch out for are:

1. Cracked engine mounts/firewall damage
2. Sloshed fuel tanks (early airplanes).
3. Cracked control surfaces.

I'll suggest that you start by finding a local A&P who will work with you. As a buyer, you will need an A&P signoff at "annual" time. Many A&Ps are leery of working on homebuilts. All of them will have some personal opinions that you may not agree with. When you're asking a guy to sign his name in your logbook, you'lre going to have to do things his way (or find somebody else).

Next, you need to decide what kind of airplane you want/need. Are you looking for a 200HP firebreather or are you looking for a simple airplane that will be low maintenance ?

I assume you've had the opportunity to fly RVs already, so we'll skip that suggestion.

Then it's off to TAP, Barnstormers, etc. and be PATIENT.

Lastly, I'll make another oddball suggestion :). Try to agree on a price BEFORE you go to look at a plane. When you find a plane you like, call the seller and basically say that if the plane is as represented, it's worth $50k (for example) to me. I won't try to negotiate further based on the inpsection. If it's not up to snuff, I'll walk. Otherwise, the buyer knows he's going to get $50k and may be more willing to meet your price. This can save a lot of time, travel, expense and aggravation over a deal that's just not gonna happen.

Anyway, let us know if we can help and good luck.

John

Thanks for the advice. I am lucky in that my dad is an A&P. I like your idea on the price, I would hate to travel a long way and not make a deal. I am planning on a 160 hp Fixed pitch IFR machine - seems to be a number of these in TAP and Barnstomer

IFR?

panhandler1956 said:
160 hp Fixed pitch IFR machine
Really IFR? Than an autopilot is in order. You can retro fit and plane on the better part of $2000 to buy and install one. RV's are not really IFR planes but do you really want to fly IFR in your sport plane.

It is not that you can't or should not but that if you let of the stick to get a chart the plane will roll off and gain speed at a frighteningly high rate. It is not a C-172. A wing leveler is a must.

FIXED PROP? If IFR I suggest metal as you will eat a wood prop in rain.

GYROS? If mechanical and you have been ringing them out doing Loops and rolls are you sure you trust you life to them in the goo?

I had a IFR RV-4 and I did not use it as much as I thought.

Good luck. G

Another thing to look for in a -4 is the engine mount weldments aft of the firewall. Especially the lower ones. Look VERY closely for cracks.
Best thing is to have a pre-buy inspection done by an A&P, Tech Counselor, DAR, etc. who is familiar with RVs.
Believe me, I've done several of these inspections on good looking airplanes that the prospective buyer passed on because of things we found.