snoop9erdog

Well Known Member
All,

I may have an opportunity to pick up a O360A3A 180 HP that had a prop strike. Crank is toast and dialed at .076. The seller told me that he hit a light upon landing which resulted in nose down force that caused the prop strike. Engine is approx 3000 TT with 680 SMOH. All accessories included FWF, Carbed, the starter has a little damage from fly wheel when the incident occurred.

maybe someone can chime in that has prop strike and engine rebuild experience regarding the beating that a lycoming can take? With a strike like this, would you be apprehensive about tearing it down and overhauling with new ECI Crank ($4200). I understand that there could very well be additional damage to connecting rods, valve, etc. But to what extent do you think it is?

What do you think?

Thansk,

Ed

What extent?

FWIW Have seen a bad prop strike that bends the crank flange- had to red tag the case also since there was a crack in the front case- you need to get this engine real- I mean "real cheap" since everything needs to be sent off?

Buy it on condition...

...that the case and rods, etc will pass inspection. Let the owner hold a deposit until it's checked out. If the case and everything's ok, ante up the rest of the money, or do a similar deal.

We bought an engine off a storm flipped Comanche and the case was cracked and pinching the forward cam bearing (It landed upside down). The seller paid for the case repair and round trip shipping.

Regards,

Not a bad idea Pierre. He wants 4K. I was thinking on the order of 1500-2000. What do you think a fair price is for "as is" on a lot of unknowns?

Lycoming says...

...that after a prop strike (even water) the drive gear has to come off the rear of the crankshaft and the drive pin replaced, along with a new hold-down bolt and metal keeper tab. We just did this on a -4 that almost went over and splattered the Sterba prop.

$1500-2000 is a range where I really can't see you getting hurt and he may go for it on the conditional requirements I mentioned. If it passes, give him the remaining $2000, if he'll agree.

Regards,