Staunch111

Well Known Member
Hi,

I really need some advice. I'm in the process of purchasing a complete SB RV7 kit (approx 8 yrs old - untouched) which is not in the original crates. They were discarded long ago with all items put up on the shelf. I will be having crates built to the original VANs specs as found on their website and shipped to the seller where I will pack.

So my questions are as follows:

Q1- How difficult is it to pack all items back into the crates for shipping (approx 3000 miles domestic)?
Q2 - Does anyone have any pics of their unassembled parts in the crates prior to packing that they could forward to me?
Q3 - Is there anything I need to know w.r.t wood strengths /thicknesses for the crates?
Q3- Can anyone offer any advice, particularlyi f you've done this before yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Crates

Hi,

I really need some advice. I'm in the process of purchasing a complete SB RV7 kit (approx 8 yrs old - untouched) which is not in the original crates. They were discarded long ago with all items put up on the shelf. I will be having crates built to the original VANs specs as found on their website and shipped to the seller where I will pack.

So my questions are as follows:

Q1- How difficult is it to pack all items back into the crates for shipping (approx 3000 miles domestic)?
Q2 - Does anyone have any pics of their unassembled parts in the crates prior to packing that they could forward to me?
Q3 - Is there anything I need to know w.r.t wood strengths /thicknesses for the crates?
Q3- Can anyone offer any advice, particularlyi f you've done this before yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Q1. If the crates are built to Vans spec size it should be easy. I inventoried and put everything back more than once. Most of the space is full of packing paper. You need to make sure you get the longerons and spars and pack them carefully.
Q2. I will look but doubt I have any. I still have my wing and fuse crates. If you want, I can open them and shoot a pic. Wings crate is almost empty though. I do remember the tank and leading edge skins were up against the side and had string routed through the box frame around the skins to hold them down and in place.
Q3. The top and bottom were 1/4"ply. The sides were 1"X12" There are 1"X 2" braces inside.
Q4. I have a full Vans inventory for the 7 (a) on Excel. If you don't have hard or soft copy, I suggest you get one and go over it item by item. Mine also has notes of what crate the parts are in. PM or e-mail if you want it.

Edit
If the kit was stored in a non conditioned space, check the edges under the blue vinyl for corrosion. I found some on the stored empennage I purchased.

Last edited:
If assembling the crates gets frustrating, just remember that the gentleman that does this for Vans is blind! :eek: No joke. If I recall, he has been there for many years and makes it look easy. He does it all by feel and uses a pneumatic stapler/nailer. Impressive.

:)

Crate Advice

WireJock thanks forthe advice. If its not to much trouble, could you or anyone else send photos of your crates (the lid, sides etc). I have to get someone to build them. I'm sure it's not that hard but they will be built and delivered in my absence. I just want to make sure they'll do what their meant to do, and NOT fall apart when moved in transit.

My email is bodylogics at hotmail dot com

If anyone is reading this and is in Perth, Australia who may be able to assist shoot me PM. Perhaps a local chapter could lend a hand and I can pay for your time and effort.

PS:What's the going price for all crates needed to move a complete RV7 SB kit????

WireJock thanks forthe advice. If its not to much trouble, could you or anyone else send photos of your crates (the lid, sides etc). I have to get someone to build them. I'm sure it's not that hard but they will be built and delivered in my absence. I just want to make sure they'll do what their meant to do, and NOT fall apart when moved in transit.

My email is bodylogics at hotmail dot com

If anyone is reading this and is in Perth, Australia who may be able to assist shoot me PM. Perhaps a local chapter could lend a hand and I can pay for your time and effort.

PS:What's the going price for all crates needed to move a complete RV7 SB kit????

I sent you an e-mail. No idea what the crates cost.