Status
Not open for further replies.

RVZoomie

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to Rv's in general. I currently want to own a -4 and due to my limited time and resources won't be able to purchase a quickbuild and construct one myself, so I'm seeking guidance on what to look for and if possible help selecting one.
My goal for the -4 would be to have an aircraft that could quickly get me cross country and still enjoy some aerobatics (loop, immelman, barrel roll, cuban, clover, etc) while having lower initial and operating costs. I would enjoy some radar navigation as well as GPS and would prefer electric trim and flaps.

My questions are:

Is there anyone out there I could pay a finders fee to or fees to inspect RV-4's of interest?

Or, are there any good guides for things to look for when purchasing one?

Are inverted fuel/oil and larger hp engines necessary for aerobatics? (From my experience, if you are less than 1g for very long you are doing something wrong.)

Overall, I'm in Del Rio, Tx and looking to purchase in the near future and need an experinced builder/pilot to evaluate aircraft I've located through classifieds such as barnstormers, tradeaplane, and the classifieds here. I do have a background in mechanics, aero eng, and flying (lately mostly military) and have some aspirations for the -4 such as turbocharging an IO-360 and using electronic engine management but I figured those questions would be best saved for a later post. I apologize for this lengthy post and appreciate any help or advice out there. Thanks

Mark

Last edited:
Smokey and a few others do pre-buy inspections.

With a 0-360 or even some of the 0-320’s, some are already going over the VNE of 210. A 4 has a bit less weight to work with. To make the most of the turbo at higher altitudes, would also mean bringing on oxygen and tanks, and your radar navigation and other stuff isn’t going to give you much of a useful load to work with. With all that you have in mind, you might be best with an 8 which has more weight you can work with and a VNE of 230, although not sure a turbo is practical for it either.

Thanks for the information, I'll have to contact them-

In the mean time are there any FAQ's or guides put together for doing your own inspection prior to having someone check it out?

As far as the turbo dream goes, this would be something I would like to experiment with long into the future along side more advanced engine management primarily to boost cruise efficiency and short field ops; I'd love to own an -8 but don't think I could afford it at this point. Vne on the -4 I am assuming is limited by aeroelastic effects/flutter which I think would take some serious redesigning to account for higher true airspeeds.

Keeping that aside, do you have any thoughts about proper engine size and requirements for aerobatics? Thanks again for all the help.

Keeping that aside, do you have any thoughts about proper engine size and requirements for aerobatics? Thanks again for all the help.

Proper? The RV-4 was designed by Van hisself for a full performance envelope with a 150hp, fixed-pitch O-320. :)

There are others more knowledgeable than me that can help you much more, and I’m sure some will eventually find time for this thread. I’m a few months into the research time myself on the 4 which is probably what I will go with.

The best I remember about the flutter testing, Van’s actually tested it a bit higher than VNE, and everyone seems to think it is a conservative number. The Rocket guys have taken their 4’s with a bit more modifications, and have went way past the standard VNE.

I don’t think you’ll gain anything with the turbo for shorter trips; you really need the higher altitude and longer trips for the fuel efficiency to kick in. Almost nobody puts them on the RV’s, and very few have done so. Maybe if you planned a lot of TO’s at higher elevation airports, a turbo could be used to get you off quicker, but most just use their CS props for that at any altitude.

I don’t know which engine would be best for acro, but others have said Van thinks the 0-320 is the idea engine for this plane. Others like the 0-360 better.

Also, if you haven’t already done so, you can post date the search engine, and find a wealth of info going back many years. Some very knowledgeable people on this board.

One of the best things you got going for you besides this board, is that you’re in TX. I think there are more of Van’s aircraft here than any other state, and you can find at least a few at just about any small airport.

In the mean time are there any FAQ's or guides put together for doing your own inspection prior to having someone check it out?

Not any FAQ's or guides that I'm aware of. There are certain issues (firewall cracks / buckling, rudder cracks, etc...) that have popped up in a few -4's, but I wouldn't say they're common. It is also important to note that -4's are not matched-hole kits, and construction quality varies greatly - there is a lot of junk out there. Your best bet is exactly what you have expressed a desire to do, find someone to help you in the prebuy process. You can either use someone to help you find, prebuy, and even deliver the airplane; OR you can find an airplane you think you are interested in, and then use this forum to find a local resource that might be interested in helping you check it out - you shouldn't have a problem with this in TX.

As for aerobatics, you can't beat a light airplane. 150hp is plenty for the airplane (but I love all 180 of mine :D). Inverted fuel and oil aren't needed for the manuevers you mentioned.

As others have said, use the search function or even do what I did when I was looking for a -4 earlier this year, which is to look through every thread in this "RV-4" forum - you will learn a LOT.

Welcome to VAF

I have a -4 that I wouldn't mind showing and discussing with you, I'm in Kingsville so not too far away. I've learned a lot in the few short months that I've owned it and I could offer you some insight into the buying process. Shoot me a PM for contact info.

What you need

RVZoomie,
Reading your thread you stated that your GOAL was to have a/c that could move you quickly across country and still enjoy positive maneuvers. Is that still you desire after a bit of surfing?
The reason I ask ? sounds like a RV-3 might be a better platform for your stated goals. My first RV was a 3 for all the reasons you stated in your GOALS. However, you need to be careful concerning acro in an ?A? model. The ?B? is the correct fix. XC profile ? try El Paso to Atlanta in under 8 hrs and 60 gals of 100LL. Try that in your F-150.
Plus ? once you fly a 3 ? well everything else will be a second. Sing all you want and never bother anyone. Gives me chills just thinking about it. I should have never sold that plane. Live and learn.
There is good reason for the new re-demand for the 3 ? TOTAL PREFORMANCE.
Cheers

Ah-Vee-Fo

I bought my RV4 tail kit in 1989 and have been a huge proponent of the wonderful design ever since. The RV4 can be summed up in very few words, "Absolute best bang for the Buck" in a sport plane.
Having inspected and flown a bunch of them the best ones people tend to keep are the simple ones, 160HP, carb, wood prop. The more goodies (IFR, 180 C/S) add weight and cost and seem to get traded or sold more often. As far as full inverted fuel oil, I have inspected one with a complete system. It's not a Pitts nor does it pretend to be one. It is a very capable sport plane good for decent cross country, positive G acro and STOL, as advertised.

I helped Brian S there at "Del Rio by the sea" find a nice 4, let me know if I can help you.

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to Rv's in general.

Welcome to VAF.

You came to the right place.

My questions are:

Is there anyone out there I could pay a finders fee to or fees to inspect RV-4's of interest?

Or, are there any good guides for things to look for when purchasing one?

Thanks

Mark

If you find one on the left coast, Randy Thorne is a well known and respected member of the Vans universe. He does pre-buy inspections, has built a 4 in the past.

His number is 209-337-8331

I know of a great RV-4 for sale

I'm an early -4 builder that I flew for 14 years, followed by building an RV-9A that I flew for 5 years, now I'm back to an RV-4 that I purchased from a friend's estate in 2008.

I know of a well-built RV-4 that is that is located in the Provo, UT area that is for sale for $45,000, a bargain price, in my opinion. The panel may be a bit dated, but it has good equipment, including a Navaid Device autopilot. The Lycon-built engine has probably less than 500 hours since new and the Hartzell prop was new maybe 500 hours ago. The aircraft has excellent metal work. The builder/owner is very hard of hearing and may be a little difficult to communicate with, but can give you further details. Remember that he is hearing impaired. Anyone interested in this very fast, clean airplane needs to go look at it, because seeing is believing.

You can contact this gentlement at 530-351-5882.

jt

Pick a creampuff

Don't be afraid to spend a little extra for a nice one. Starting out with a creampuff will allow you to maintain a shallow learning curve with operating and maintaining a homebuilt - imperative when you're not the builder. At some point you'll find yourself droning contentedly over vast expanses of forest or sea, confident in that Lyc turning the prop out there without missing a beat. The same scenario in a tired old -4 that you got a sweet deal on, may leave you sucking up the seat cushion at the first hint trouble...

I spent my first summer with my 2nd hand -4 traveling across the continent with a WWII Texan. We diverted several times (once in the Rockies - yikes) due to his engine trouble, but after 10 years of flying my 160HP O-320 has never missed a beat...

As Smokey said, keep a -4 pure and simple and it will give you pleasure for years. IFR, inverted kits, heavy girlfriends, etc are best piled on the -8. :)

Mike
C-GJIP

Status
Not open for further replies.