Tkitchen1

Hello all, I am looking for flight information. I recently did some transition training in an RV-6. I am building a 9. How is the adverse yaw compared to the 6? How is the gyroscopic effect and the P factor compared to the 6?
Thank you for any info.

Hello all, I am looking for flight information. I recently did some transition training in an RV-6. I am building a 9. How is the adverse yaw compared to the 6? How is the gyroscopic effect and the P factor compared to the 6?
Thank you for any info.

Same, same, same.
It would take a highly skilled and experienced RV pilot to even tell the difference between these 2 planes either in airborn or ground handling.

RV-6A compared to RV-9A

I flew the factory RV-6A for just over 5 hours in two days with Mike Seager. It flew like an airplane. The approaches are flown 10 MPH faster than my RV-9A.

I have flown my RV-9A over 270 hours in the past three and half years. The wings are longer with a shorter chord. The vertical stabilizer has an offset from the centerline of the fuselage. The engine mount has some offset thrust. Virtually no rudder input is required on a "normal" takeoff. In cruise flight, a touch of rudder pressure is needed to keep the ball centered. Decending at speed requires more rudder pressure to keep the ball centered.

The differential aileron deflection up vs. down makes the turns easy, with little rudder required.

I agree with everything Gerry said.

I did my transition training in a -6 and then flew my -9 and they felt exactly the same. Except the speed in the -9 was a little slower.

P-factor on the -9 was noticeable but easy enough to control with right rudder. Note, I'm talking about a -9 and not a -9A.

I did a few hours in a 6A before flying my 9A. I agree with Jerry. I initially had trouble keeping the 6A straight on takeoff, but have had zero problems with the 9A, probably because of the larger rudder and lower takeoff speed.

greg