Michael Henning

Well Known Member
In the time that it takes some of us to build an airplane, a lot of times by the time we get around to flying it, all of the warranties have expired. I am at the end stages of my RV-4 and went to turn on the engine monitor, and it did not work. I spoke to a tech at AFS, and he told me some thing to try, which I did to no avail. Next step was to send it back to have it looked at by them. The unit went from the box to the plane and back into the box and off to AFS. When I spoke with a rep at AFS and was told that the unit required repairs, I was somewhat shocked, as it had just been installed and powered up. Through a miscommunication, I thought I was being told to pound sand... After speaking with Rob today (he was the one that worked on it) he told me all that he had done in addition to the repair (heat sink solder joint somehow came loose), such as updates and upgrades, it turns out I got a good deal. Rob is an upstanding guy that works hard for his customers, and strives to have the best product on the market. I apologize to Rob for my rant, I was wrong.

I agree. After having a 10 year old product, the fact that any company would even work on it for repair (and cheaply at that) is quite unusual and impressive. I will tell you that from my experience, warranty repairs on items nearly 10 years old are not common in this industry from any of the manufacturers. I'm very glad you got it sorted out, and as another case in point it's why I frequently encourage people to actually call and speak to the principal folks before going online with these sorts of issues...it almost always results in a more positive outcome for everyone involved.

As Brian said, much better than the previous action.....

Cheers and happy flying!

Stein

Last edited:
Wait to buy

This one reason I highly recommend not buying the actual electronics until you are only a few months from flying. You can buy the trays, harnesses, antennas etc and get this stuff mounted. Then, when you are close, get the actual boxes.

I've seen so many people buy a full suite of avionics only to have the technology change and the warranties go out while the stuff in on the shelf.

Kind of like designing your panel when you are working on the tail kit:eek:

I second the AFS customer support!

I have bought EFIS'es from them for both my -7, and they have really been nice people to work with.
Since I am so far from them, it's very important that I can get answers, help and assistance via email or phone.

They have been VERY helpful and friendly and their forum is of great help too.

And most of all; I'm VERY happy with the products I've bought from them (3500, 4500s and 3400s)

Highly recommened form one of their happy customers! :)

same, here.

totally happy customer!
rob and his gang are a class act.
software and performance is awesome.
plus they don't try to reinvent the wheel where it doesn't make sense to deviate from accepted conventions (colors, symbols and such)

regards,
bernie

AFS

After much searching for an EFIS that matched my mindset for processing information, I determined that the AFS was the best. After making the purchase and installing the AFS 5500, with all the questions about installation and set up that they patiently answered, I am still convinced I made the right choice with the AFS 5500. Great company, great product, great people to work with before and after the sale.

Here's my installation which I marvel at each time I take to the air. So much information easily processed.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=83669&highlight=AFS+5500