N402RH

Well Known Member
Advanced Flight Systems Update

These pictures are actual screen captures of our new ADVANCED SV running on our new production hardware. All of our systems (AF-3400, AF-3500, and AF-4500) that ship after July will have the new hardware to support the new ADVANCED SV synthetic vision software. We should have the new hardware flying in the next couple of weeks and I will post more actual flight pictures. Our RV-10 is currently in the paint shop so we are using the RV-4 for flight testing. The RV-10 will be at Oshkosh with an awesome new paint job and three new EFIS screens all running the new hardware and software.

Rob Hickman
N401RH RV-4 N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

ADVANCED%20deck%20Animate_4.jpg

ADVANCED%20deck%20Animate_1.jpg

ADVANCED%20deck%20Animate_2.jpg

ADVANCED%20deck%20Animate_3.jpg

Very Cool!!!

Hi Rob,

That looks great. How is the HITS coming along? That will be a tremendous addition to the SV. Can't wait to put in the dual screen 4500!!!

great to see the progress and knowing we're in line for the next-gen ;-)

awesome anti-aliasing :)
however, please adjust font style so it doesn't look as wide/flat, makes it harder to read.

other than that, we're just shy of needing the units, so the sooner the better ;-)

rgds,
bernie

I guess I'm missing something, the fonts looked normal to me, and easily readable??????

Might be a Switzerland thing.

I will be sending my 3500 in for the upgrade, but not before first flight. Too much airplane at the end of the money.

Human factors design:

this book might anyway be the efis designer's friend ;-)
ref pg 72:
http://books.google.ch/books?id=Lvh...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#PPA72,M1

"Fortunately, character width can be defined as a simple ratio of height. The FAA suggests a width-to-height ratio of 0.68-0.75:1, with the exception of such characters such as M and W for which this ratio should be at least 0.8:1 and the characters l, i and t which may be made somewhat narrower. These height/width ratios are typical of most found in the literature. It should also be noted that these width-to-height ratios exclude the ascenders and descenders on characters such as d and p. The spacing between adjacent characters within a word should be approximately 10% of the standard character height and spacing between words should be the width of one standard character"

also interesting is the section about stroke/height ratio when displaying light text on black, it should be 8-10% of a character height while for black text on white background it should be 12.5%-16.7%.
also according to the text, apparently there exists a FAA human design guide as well as a similar UK document.

just my 20cts, not trying to reinvent the wheel, many brains have sorted these things out.

so in the current screenshots, i would say height to width ratio is in the region of 0.9:1 to 1:1 on the flat side.

rgds,
bernie

google is my friend ;-) :

further reading http://rd.cycu.edu.tw/academic/96/陳小菁-工業/paper-AD80131-new.pdf

shows the difference between a 6pt and a 9pt font under vibration.

Last edited:
Wow, Rob. Very nice job with the anti-aliasing. Looking forward to checking it out at OSH.

Looks great, bet even better in person!

How about a high res BMP image to really make us drool?

Rob, could you email me a Hi-res shot for my computer desktop at work? I am sure that will start some quality, non-work related conversations.

SV with engines?

Hi Rob - quick question. Will it be possible to disply SV and engine data on the same display? Obviously it would reduce the size of the SV presentation, but hopefully still be usable.

Thanks,

dave

Hi Rob - quick question. Will it be possible to disply SV and engine data on the same display? Obviously it would reduce the size of the SV presentation, but hopefully still be usable.

Thanks,

dave

Yes, we will have all of our standard screens. We are currently working on getting the engine instruments on the screen so that we can fly it in the RV-4 (single sceen). If our RV-10 was available we would be flying the left screen with the new system.

Rob Hickman

Rob,
It looks great! :) We new it was going to be worth the wait. It looks like you'll be shipping the Advance Deck in July sometime. We can hardly wait.
Rick

Garmin Who?!? :cool:

Well done Rob! I knew you were the right choice. I can't wait to see that on the dual 4500's Stein's putting together for my -7!

That is JUST AWESOME!!!

- Peter

Looks sweet Rob!

Just curious, will the SV and HITS be selectable? IOW, can I turn it off if I don't want it? Same with the verticle compass...is it configurable to something else or removable?

Thanks-

Joe

Nice! Q: frame rate?

Rob,

The terrain rendering looks gorgeous, and the anti-aliasing is a very nice refinement!

So on the new hardware, running SV and anti-aliasing, what are you seeing for graphics frame rate?

Yes, we currently have runways and obstacles being displayed on the screen. We have a lot of current experience writing certified EFIS software and dealing with very large companies human factors flight test departments. For an EFIS screen to really look smooth it needs to be running a screen update rate around 20 Hz, we are currently a lot better than that. We do expect for our update rate to slow down as we add more detail and be closer to the 20 Hz.

Rob Hickman