now just have to figure out how to fit 2 of them on the -10 panel!

Phil
Salt Lake City
RV-10 finishing

Hey Scott,
How did I miss this??? Guess that's what I get for trying to cram Oshkosh into 2 days :). Any idea on a release date or tray dimensions and such?
Thanks,
Mark Hanley
[email protected]
Finishing RV-10

Rob told me they were shooting for the end of the year. No clue about tray size, but it looked perfect for my -8 :).

The Kitplanes article says "For more information ... visit www.advanced-flight-systems.com", but the only item about the AF-5600 at AFS's page just links back to the Kitplanes article! And no "New Product Showcase" video about it at eaavideo.org, either. Come on, the people demand answers!

--Paul

Probably the same 10.5 inch glass manufacturer source that Grand Rapids is also toying with and that's what I'm holding out for. Perfect for an RV-8!

You have to LOVE Competition. I remember being wowed so easily by that first small Blue Mountain EFIS and by that first Dynon small one. Can't even remember what those models were called anymore and it's only been a few short years...

now just have to figure out how to fit 2 of them on the -10 panel!

Phil
Salt Lake City
RV-10 finishing

Aerosport Products has a new instrument panel for the RV-10 to accomodate the new 10" EFIS from AFS, GRT, and Dynon. It was on display at the AFS booth at OSH.

AF-5500 w ThrottleQuad2.jpg

GREAT!

had planned on Geoff's panel with the two 4500s and was worried about how to fit the larger screens on, as it appeared the standard was too small, and the 900 panel wouldn't allow for the separate radio stack.

delaying pays off!
Phil
SLC

Anybody have information on this?

http://kitplanes2.com/blog/2010/07/advanced-flight-debuts-ergonomically-improved-efis/

And I had all but decided on a competitor. :confused:

Mark Hanley
Finishing up RV-10
[email protected]

Mark,

Check out their offering, when they return from OSH. When I spoke to them for that blurb, it was an impressive system.

Since my background is in IT, the menu systems most EFIS units have doesn't bother me. You are either going to memorize a menu or a button, whatever works for you, is what you should go with.

Mark,

Check out their offering, when they return from OSH. When I spoke to them for that blurb, it was an impressive system.

Since my background is in IT, the menu systems most EFIS units have doesn't bother me. You are either going to memorize a menu or a button, whatever works for you, is what you should go with.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Unless something changes, I will probably go with the large Advanced on the pilot's side as the PFD
and two Garmin G3-X's, one as a MFD and one as a co-pilot's PFD, separated by the radio stack. Something like this...
RV10Panel82010

RV10Panel82010

http://picasaweb.google.com/2eyedocs/RV10Panel82010#

My thinking is that I rarely fly alone and the co-pilot could enter info
into the Garmin PFD on the right which would cross feed into the the middle Garmin MFD.
Not sure how entering info into the G-430's will get into the EFIS's, but
I guess I'll figure that out. Anyone see any reason not to go this route?
Thanks,
Mark Hanley
[email protected]
Arlington, TX
Finishing RV-10

We got back to Portland in the RV-10 last night, we will have updated information and pictures in the next day or so. I am still looking for my desk, I am fairly sure it is under the stack of paper in my office.

I am planning on installing the new Aerosport products panel in my RV-10 in the fall with two AF-5600 screens and an AF-3400 on the right side of the panel. On long trips you will be able to show movies on the center screen for the passengers :)

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

AF-4500 Pictures from Oshkosh

These are actual screen captures from my flight home from Oshkosh with the new software. These pictures show the new software with SV behind the engine gauges, Joy stick panning, HITS, and new terrain colors.

Montana%20SV.jpg

Montana%20Map.jpg

OSH%20Weather.jpg

MSP%20Weather.jpg

and from the AF-3400

SS080204.jpg

SS080203.jpg

I even got to fly the new HITS software home....
SS080201.jpg

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Also, I'm in the process of final editing a video where Rob talks us through the new features. It should be up tomorrow at the Kitplanes site.

Marc

Man, that is cool! I have been wavering between AF and Dynon...tough decision, luckily I have time to ponder it further. I dont see AOA shown, or am I just missing it?

The AOA on my screen is in declutter mode, it only displays when the AOA is above 6.0

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

These are actual screen captures from my flight home from Oshkosh with the new software. These pictures show the new software with SV behind the engine gauges, Joy stick panning, HITS, and new terrain colors.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Rob, when will the new s/w be available for current AFS owners? thanks

The current beta software should be released next Wednesday on our web site.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N401RH RV-10 N402RH RV-10

We are hard at work in the development phase of the AF-5600. There are many new features and capabilities we are very excited about. We don't want to release too much info yet until things are finalized. We are also currently working on NavWorx ADS-B weather integration and XM winds aloft display on the AF-4500 which will of course work on the AF-5600 as well.

The AF-5600 bezel size is on our website and the depth will be substantially less than the current displays we offer. It will have the largest and highest resolution LED back-lit display on the Experimental market! Video input....USB....ADS-B weather and traffic...and many others

Whats it got that the Skyview dosen't?

Not trying to start a pissing contest, but really whats 3X better if I'm going to couple it to a 430W?

Am I missing something here? It's almost three times the cost of the Dynon Skyview?!?

.... a good calculator :)

Skyview 10" $3600
ADHRS $1200
Engine Module $600

We have not released final pricing it will be about $8,000 for an AF-5600EE including AHRS and Engine Monitor.

Skyview 10" Resolution 614,400 Pixels
AF-5600 Resolution 786,432 Pixels

Skyview Buttons 10
AF-5600 Buttons 21

Skyview Knobs 2
AF-5600 Knobs 3

Skyview SD Card Slots 0
AF-5600 SD Card Slots 1

Rob Hickman

Last edited:
The Skyview actually costs $540 per button, the AF-5600 is only $381 per button :)

I will guarantee you that the AF-5600 will have the most intuitive user interface available.

Rob Hickman

All things considered

I think there is a lot of value here for Rob's product. I visited his shop last week and was really impressed with what I saw. I'm not technically oriented and basically a steam gauge kind of guy, but I'm convinced that the 5600 is what I need for my RV-8. There is definitely a "Wow" factor when looking at screen size, resolution and functionality of the buttons used to operate his unit compared to some of the other stuff I've reviewed. Also, it looks like this unit will be easy to operate and will not take much time to learn how to use some of its most important features. As an older pilot this is an important issue for me, but I believe novice IFR pilots will also appreciate how intuitive this unit will be in practical application.
I was totally impressed with Rob, his staff and facility. They made me feel welcome, showed me all the neat stuff and answered all of my questions patiently. Rob seems to be really devoted to developing the best possible product. He told me that he flies every evening after work to test out some new feature or software change developed by his staff. I think that's the kind of attention and hard work that makes for keeping his products on the leading edge of a very competive market.
As an aside: I visited Rob on the way to Prineville Oregon to attend an EAA workshop on Electrical wiring for aircraft. They put on a great program and I can't believe I learned so much in just two days. I spoke to participants in other classes too and everyone raved about the quality of every section.
Hats off to EAA Chapter 617 for the wonderful job in hosting this event. They are a great outfit.
Steve