Robert Ashmore

I'm New Here
Any one have a screen just lock up and not respond? I was going to work on my check lists and fired up the screens with a blank SD card in the SD slot. It went 3/4 into the boot up and stopped. It is now on the back up battery and wont shut down or respond at all. Im hoping the back up batt will die here soon and I can reboot. I do have the last update on another SD card.
Any ideas?:confused:

as bad as it sounds,

you have to wait until the backup battery drains to its internal low state, only then it will truly shut off the system and enable a reboot.
the good thing though, the backup battery doesn't deep-discharge and will come back alive and well... too bad that there is no true reset button however. as this could cause the aircraft to be AOG for several hours.
had a lockup only once, after leaving the config screens while removing the sdcard during the regular boot cycle...
since then, i'm being extremely careful when to remove / insert sdcards. never had the lockup problem since.

rgds, bernie

The unit did finally shut down. The next boot up did the same thing, stopped at 3/4 through cycle. The back up battery was dead so when I shut it down this time it went off quickly. I inserted the last update card and started up again and no luck. Im will call Rob at AFS next. Luckily Im still building and not stuck out on a ramp some place.

I forgot to install the SD a couple of times.

Everything work fine for me until I tried to bring up the map.:(

Kent

Hello,

Looking at our records, I see you have an older system without the "s" processor. Do you have the latest software from our website? It should be version 7.3.7-MV15. Once you update the software, it should fix the issue.

Pulling an SD card out while the system is on is not a good idea, especially if it has mapping on it. The unit is constantly reading/writing to the card, so it gets lost once the SD card is removed mid data-transfer.

Please call us at 503-263-0037 and we can help get the issue resolved ASAP.

Thanks!

Good Job AFS

Once again, an example of Excellence in customer service form one of the companies supporting experimental aviation.

Memory is cheap!

Hi Trevor,
The SD cards used are 2GB max I believe. Memory is pretty cheap these days.

Wouldn't it make sense for a future iteration of the hardware to simply have 2GB of memory in the box? That way the SD card would be used only for updates and not in day-to-day operational use.

Onboard memory ought to be faster to access than SD cards so there'd be a tiny performance boost plus there'd be less opportunity of screwing up a running system by removing the SD card.

Just thinking out loud!

AFS Software repair fix

Thanks to Trevor and AFS for writing the repair fix. I am back in normal mode. The file loaded no problem and works as it should. In hind sight I created the problem when I loaded the update. I was impatient and did not let the file completey load. I was fooled by the lack of a progress bar on the inital screen and thought it was not loading when it was.
Live and learn.

Robert, good to hear the problem is solved.

And, thanks for posting the final outcome.

I have had my screen lock up twice. Once in the soup. Both time after shutting down and rebooting it worked ok. I no programmer but it seems like software problem. I hope it was fixed in the last update. I'm not trashing AFS I just bought two more for the RV10. They are great co. Iam real careful in IFR not to change the screens now because I do not want to chance it.