ron sterba

Well Known Member
Do I have a fuel sensor problem or fuel pump problem? Flying along at 3000' when we looked at the fuel pressure on the EFIS sytem bar graph and I have "RED" and showing .2 on the fuel pressure guage. I set my bottom preimeter at .5 for RED when we set it up on the first flight. That was 45 hours ago. The engine never missed a beat & was working fine for the the last 15 minutes of the flight, I don't know how long it was at .2 (a few minutes I guess) but I switched on the electric boost pump and it came up to 4.9 or 5. We landed and I'am not sure how to tell where the failure is. Is it the fuel sensor or the the fuel pump on this O-320. What kind of tests can I perform. Advanced said the new sensor is $75.00. What can I expect if the fuel pump starts to go out or does a fuel pump just FAIL. Does a fuel sensor start to read wrong or does it just go out too. I was given a suggestion to put 4-5 lbs of air pressure at the sensor and test it that way. Open for thoughts.

Thanks Ron

Common issue with carb's and RV's. Not sure anyone has completely figured it out but the bottom line is the screw keeps turning and most just ignore it.

Clearly the fuel pressure sender is working, as 4-6 psi is normal for carb. I'd be suspicious of the mechanical fuel pp. Just because the screw keeps turning, doesn't mean the devil isn't knocking on the door. I've observed that the vast majority of the time, the airplane "talks" to you before it fails you. You need to get to the bottom of this.

There is most likely a 1000 post related to this in the archives. Common problem with no solution found so far. If you figure it out, let us all know...

Mike and Brain thanks. I'am assuming that the SCREWS you are talking about are the mounting screews for the engine pump and I'll check those today.

Ron

I'll check that one too! DAH I Was the the laughing stock at the hangar today! Seems alot of you read the forums here in Oregon. Bad enough its the home state of Vans! Sometimes I'am to serious and it flies right over the screw holding the shoulders together. We all had a good laff! Just another step in being a bonified RV driver! If we find out I'll let everybody know.

THANKS ron in oregon