JF in MI

I'm New Here
After going to OSH this year to look at ADS-B out for my RV-4 I decided to continue waiting (BTW I think every RV that was built was there). I have a used Garmin 696 with a GL-39 antenna so I am doing fine with ADS-B in. A lot of my questions were answered but more were raised along with some confusion. I would like to keep it at or under $1k and simply refuse to put in a system that costs more than 10% of the total value of my plane particularly since I rarely fly in controlled airspace any more. I was leaning toward the Echo UAT or the Beacon 978. What ticks me off is that they tell me (or in some cases wouldn?t tell me) that they need an additional $300 to $500 WAAS antenna. Does anyone know if one of those Globalsat BU353 SiRF Star III USB GPS Receiver Antenna can be wired into these transmitters and if so what is the wiring diagram?

If the device you buy carries a TSO, then you are legally obligated to use the antenna(s) called out in that TSO. If it "meets the rules" per the manufacturer, then you must use the antenna(s) called out by the manufacturer.
GRT is selling the Echo paired with its GPS, antennas included, for a bit more than your budget. But it includes ADSB-in, so maybe you can get a few $$ back by selling your current -in box.

If the device you buy carries a TSO, then you are legally obligated to use the antenna(s) called out in that TSO. If it "meets the rules" per the manufacturer, then you must use the antenna(s) called out by the manufacturer.
GRT is selling the Echo paired with its GPS, antennas included, for a bit more than your budget. But it includes ADSB-in, so maybe you can get a few $$ back by selling your current -in box.

Flying an experimental, I'm a little confused with this TSO thing. I don't think I have one TSO'd device in the entire plane.

...Nor have a transponder....

List of things required for everyone (EAB or not)operating under part 91 to be TSO'd or "meet the operational requirements of the TSO":
transponder
GPS used under IFR
ELT
and, starting in 2020, ADSB-out

BTW, if you "rarely fly in controlled airspace", you must do most of your flying at less than 1200' agl.

Last edited:
...Nor have a transponder....

List of things required for everyone (EAB or not)operating under part 91 to be TSO'd or "meet the operational requirements of the TSO":
transponder
GPS used under IFR
ELT
and, starting in 2020, ADSB-out

BTW, if you "rarely fly in controlled airspace", you must do most of your flying at less than 1200' agl.

Pardon my incorrect use of terms. I should have said I fly almost exclusively in class E.