stepdaddy

I have recently taken over unmothballing a 6-A. This plane is nearly complete. aside from a few fairing sandings, seatbelts, and empanage fairing installation, this gal is good to go. she has an IO-360-bIE, with 0 hours. a custom Bernie wernike (think thats right) prop. complete IFR panel.this was a paid for build by a local physician that lost a desire to fly following some personal tragedy. Anyway, heres the kicker. He lost the desire after engine install, 12 years ago! the plane has been sitting, hangared, with a bi-weekly hand propping and airframe dusting. the canopy had not been opened this entire time. After consulting a few A&P's who found no reason not to flush it with fuel and crank her over, I did. Happily it ran after one revolution and continues to do so. I find no rot or corrosion anywhere. both the magneto and the CDI work great. any suggestions of things to look for that may be problem areas before finally getting this plane buttoned up and inspected? I admit that I have been taxiing her for several hours now without any squawks. Any input will be helpful
heres the start of 914C ' web page http://webpages.charter.net/db.kelley/my_adopted_rv1.htm

Thanks
Dan K RV6-A N914C

Last edited:
WOW a real unique situation

Getting others input as you are doing is the right way to go. I would also invite other "eyes" to give it a look over for anything you might have missed.

I would not get crazy with taxi test, since that is hard on the engine, especially if it's new.

Call a few big engine shops, like Mattituck and call Lycoming customer tech support. Tell them what you have. They can give you some suggestions/cautions.

The engine and all systems related to the engine are the most important. The turning over by hand is not a real plus according to Lycoming, who does not recommend this but oh well..... You may consider a pulling the carb bowl for a look see? At least look at or replace the filters, gascolator.

Prop? Constant speed? Seals dry out. Re-grease

If it was stored in the desert southwest you are going to better than a high humidity cold or marine climate.

Proceed with caution and basically give it a good "condition inspection". I would check (replace) tires that could be flat spotted. Wheel bearings could be flat spotted or have a corroded pit where the sat unmoved for the years. At least re-grease.

The key is careful post flight maintenance and inspections looking for things that might wear out faster. I would change oil more frequent along with oil analysis and compression checks for awhile.

Last edited: