STAP

Can anyone suggest a really strong tape to use to attach the edges of interior paneling (on the inside of the canopy) to the rail? Basically I'm looking for a really strong black smooth tape.

Gorilla tape doesn't cut it. I can find some candidates on the internet, but wanted to ask the crowd if anyone can make a recommendation.

3M makes a tape with what they call a VHB adhesive. It stands for 'very high bond'. We use it exclusively on many of our products. It's also used to stick trim and emblems on vehicles. It is awesome stuff. It WILL hold great, down to something like -40 degrees and up to like 170-degrees.

Do an Internet search for 3M VHB double-sided tape. It's available in a lot of different widths. And it is a dark gray color.

I'd gladly send you some but we order it in huge rolls. There's no way I could send you a length of it, since when you unroll it, there's only protective backing on one side.

Go to your local glass shop and get the double sided tape they use to hang mirrors. May be the same stuff that Gary mentioned.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Great advice. Thanks for replying! In the middle of my annual and trying to make some improvements.

beware all the 3M numbers!

the 5952, the black, soft foam tape sounds great..I think it's also commonly used for body moulding adhesive, so an autobaody supply may also have part rolls etc.

be careful, like anything 3M, there are about 1000 different product numbers; i have a roll of VHB that I think was intended to be applied by a machine, whic peels and rolls up the backing film, and then a roller exerts a pretty fair pressure and possibly heat. (Might be like the stuff they bond wing skins to ribs at the boeing plant!??)
If I just applied by hand, the stuff just fell off the next day! Not good!

you need something with a good high inital tack, and thick enough to confrom to the expected variations in the surface. Usually, if 5952 isn't thick enough, you'll find 5954 has twice the mil thickness of adhesive on the same foam carrier. ( just a generality on 3M codes, not exact, and they change them all the time!)

Awesome

Great stuff guys, thanks. Is there a similar tape that is one-sided? I certainly need 2 sided to anchor the interior but one sided would be useful to dress the edges.