vbpiper

Well Known Member
A search of the archives did not reveal an answer, so here goes. An A&P friend expressed some reservations about the tape/vinyl tube method of securing the brake lines on the gear legs of the -7A, citing concerns about durability of the tape as well as moisture under it on the legs. He suggested Adel clamps. My question is, is there room under the fairings for clamps, especially if I use the wood stiffeners?
Thanks.

Tape works...

An A&P friend expressed some reservations about the tape/vinyl tube method of securing the brake lines on the gear legs of the -7A, citing concerns about durability of the tape as well as moisture under it on the legs.
My brake lines run through vinyl tubing and are taped to the gear legs. No problems for over 15 years. As far as moisture, the gear legs are covered with fiberglass which attach the wooden stiffeners so the tape is not on the steel leg itself..

I slid a short section of slit 3/8" air line around the aluminum tubing, faced the slit outward, wrapped a nylon tie wrap around it and used a Panduit gun to snug the tie wrap to the gear leg. Sorry I can't provide any engineering data, but it seems to work fine and has caused no wear on the inside of the gear leg faring, but it's only been on for three years...

When you install them with a Panduit gun, they show no measurable change after three years...still extremely tight.

When you install them with a Panduit gun, they show no measurable change after three years...still extremely tight.

Actually I meant the Adel clamps could slip down the taper - but I guess it could apply to the zip ties too. Perhaps it is why Van's ended up with tape - or perhaps they had a roll of tape handy!

Jim