Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Maybe I'm missing the forest for the trees, but does anyone have a clever method for "turning" the direction that two Adel clamps run? I.e., one Adel clamp on, say, a motor mount tube, and I need the second one to have its direction 90 degrees to the first (e.g., one on the tube going fore-aft, second one attached so cables/wires run left-to-right).

There's probably a dirt simple solution here (the engine wiring harness came with several metal "tabs" that accomplished this, but not enough).

TIA...

Adel

Steve,

Just rotate one clamp 90 degrees. It's easiest if they are back to back (flat side to flat side). Sorry, no picture.

Don

That will rotate the direction in one axis, but not the one I need...that will put them parallel (in one plane). I need them perpendicular.

Just imagine a tube with an Adel clamp on it:

_
_____________| |____________________
_____________| |____________________
|_|
|
|

I now need to "twist" the direction of the second clamp to run "up and down" as seen here.

I've just cut some short pieces of 063 angle and drilled holes on each face for the Adel clamps... seems to have worked pretty well for me.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Hi Steve.

What Don was trying to explain creates a 90 degree change in direction.

I'll try the ASCII picture to help.

engine mount adel clamp
_____________| |____|________________
_____________| |____|________________
.....................| |___ |
.....................|_|___|..| <- second adel clamp at 90 degrees
..............................|..|
................................|
................................|
...............................wire
................................going
................................down through second adel clamp.

Another posiblity is to use a short (2 inches) piece of AL and twist it 90 degrees. Drill a hold in each end and attach the two adel clamps to it.

Hope this is readable and helps.

I found a picture. You can disregard the previous 1000 words. ;)

Kent

Last edited:
Twist the first clamp 90* on the tube, so the flat is in the same plane as where you want the axis of the second clamp.

Then back-to-back a second clamp, and it will be where you want.

It makes more sense if you start with the second clamp, and then add the clamp that is going to anchor to the motor mount tube.

You can do this.:D

Not the best picture but you get the idea :) Piece of angle with two holes in it.

adelturn.jpg

DOH! Of course...that's what I get for trying to visualize it in my head at my desk instead of in front of the plane... LOL!

Thanks all...sorry for being dense :).

Steve