Dangerous Dan

Shopping for RVs I learned the fuel capacity on a -6 might be too low for my travels. Search did not Yield aux tank info.
A Bird was for sale with extra in-wing tanks and removable auxilary tank for the baggage compartment. Another ad said "tip tanks" I envisioned wing tips like a Cessna 310, but the wings looked average.
What is the dope on increasing fuel capacity / extra fuel tanks?
Since many RVs are painted to resemble fighting aircraft, would it make any sense to have a belly mounted auxilary fuel tank similar to military "drop tanks"?

Last edited:
In wings

Hi Dan,
Check out Safeair...makers of a neat tubing-type tank that slides into the holes in the ribs, just ahead af the spar and filler caps under doors in the wingtips. The give about an extra hour.

http://www.safeair1.com/

Regards,
Pierre

Pierre pointed you in the right direction Dan - I know several people that have the Safeair tanks, and they look pretty good to me....very similar to the long range tanks I used to have in my Grumman!

I considered adding them to my -8, but decided not to do it until after I had flown it awhile. I find that if I climb to 13.5K, I will generally have an endurance of 6 hours, which is plenty long for flight in and around the continental US....at least for me...:) Of course, you might have different mission profiles, so they might be very appropriate for what you want to do...just wanted to let you know what we can get in the real world.

Oh.....the FAA's ears REALLY perk up when they hear the words "drop" and "Tanks" in the same sentence......;)

Paul

Tip Tanks not salmon

There are three types of tip tanks I am aware of that the advertized RV-6 might be equiped with: 1- small welded aluminum tanks of roughly 4 gallons each that are mounted outboard of the last rib and are inclosed in the stock wingtips; 2- Jon Johannson tip tanks are composite and the replace and occupy the same space as the stock wingtips with roughly 8.5 gallons each; 3 - Farn Reed tip tanks are fabricated aluminum that conform exactly to the wing airfoil and extend the wing span 1.5 feet - they are installed between the end of the standard wing and the stock wing tip. You can see the advantages and disadvantages of each. I do not believe "2" is available and I know "3" which I have on my RV-6A is no longer available. This has been covered several times in this forum. External tanks hanging in the breeze on an RV is a bad idea! Might as well buy an older factory built airplane, sacrifice a little performance and get the range, payload and utility you are probably in search of.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
You need better than 900 miles of range?

Dangerous Dan said:
Shopping for RVs I learned the fuel capacity on a -6 might be too low for my travels. Search did not Yield aux tank info.
A Bird was for sale with extra in-wing tanks and removable auxilary tank for the baggage compartment. Another ad said "tip tanks" I envisioned wing tips like a Cessna 310, but the wings looked average.
What is the dope on increasing fuel capacity / extra fuel tanks?
Since many RVs are painted to resemble fighting aircraft, would it make any sense to have a belly mounted auxilary fuel tank similar to military "drop tanks"?

Like Paul said, you may be surprised once you start flying an RV. 38 gallons only seems small if you're coming from the spamcan world where 50 gallons is barely enough to cover 500 miles in a reasonable amount of time. 38 gallons in an RV at economy cruise is good for 6 hours and 900 miles, with reserve. I make a fuel stop between Houston and Oshkosh because it's a 6 hour trip and my bladder is only good for 3. Be sure you've done the math before you reject the 99.9% of available -6's with standard tanks.

If you decide you just have to have it, there are after-market vendors who sell tip tanks that can be added to any RV. They're the same size as standard tips. Personally, I'm not convinced they're worth the complexity and weight for an extra five gallons.

Tanks - I'm edumacated now

The information you all have kindly shared. Hits the mark.
Yes the additonal fuel capacity seems too expensive.
Hanging an external tank would be aerodymically and esthetically undesireable especially inside the ADIZ. Sorry

I appreciate the suggestion that a "spam can" may work better for long haul missions. I have homes in CA & WV (but live mostly Overseas) :( . My experience flying between them in my Cessna 152 & now Tri-Pacer makes me want to go as fast as I can afford (and still be PIC). I've been considering late 60's mooney vs RV. My gut tells me the RV will be faster, less GPH, & more fun. Lots of differences to ponder.

Thanks for the help, knowlege and ideas
Dan

Last edited:
Done both, RV with extended fuel wins!

Dan:

I have owned and restored a mid 60s Mooney. Go buy three boats. Older airplanes are time/maintenance/money heavy machines that never become less expensive.

I own a RV, have two in various stages of progress and I have already purchased or installed SafeAir/Hotel Whiskey ER tanks for all three. Not only do I consider the tanks standard equipment, but I evaluate the expense as a one time cost insurance policy against fuel "issues". Ever landed to refuel and the fueling equipment malfunction, find the FBO closed or land, hear banjos with Ned Beatty squealing in the background and be told "We ain't got no gas college boy!". Ever had to turn around for weather and your low on fuel?

My personal comfort rules include leaving on a cross country flight with full fuel and when possible planning my stops at airports with intersecting runways.

I have and continue to thank the guys at Hotel Whiskey and Tony Munday/SafeAir for an affordable, safe product that is easy to install and has very low maintenance. The customer service is second to none and the response to inquiries/questions from SafeAir is usually within minutes.

E-mail me if you want to discuss, feel free.

I think you misunderstood

Dangerous Dan said:
I appreciate the suggestion that a "spam can" may work better for long haul missions. Dan

I think you misunderstood. I said I would much rather spend 38 gallons to travel 900 miles in 6 hours in an RV than 50 gallons and 5 hours to travel 500 miles in a typical spam can. My RV6A has a higher full fuel payload than the Cherokee 140 it replaced and almost twice the range. Some spamcans (like a Mooney or Bonanza) can match its range and speed, but only by using much more fuel. That certainly doesn't make them better for a long haul mission.

You have already owned two airplanes

The Mooney vs. RV choice is one you have to make and you have the experience of owning two airplanes and flying transcontinental so you are not new to the game.

If you are going to build the plane, extra tanks can be built from scratch to your own design. It is significant extra work and complexity but well worth the effort. I would try to keep it within the existing wing design envelope and not extend the wings as mine are if you are interested in aerobatics (I am not). I owned a 1981 Piper Archer II for 22 years and I loved it but I flight planned for 120 kts where as I flight plan at 150 kts with the RV-6A (it goes faster but so did the Archer) both had/have O-360 Lycomings and both burn 10 gal/hr. In race mode the fuel burn is on the order of 16-18 GPH. I do not try to conserve fuel. I have 55 gallons on board and in cruise (2450 RPM) that works out well for legs of 4+ hours for me. On long trips there have been times I wished I had another 10 or 15 gallons but I can live with what I have. The airplane is essentially brand new (flying for 3+ years now) and it is solid and fast and we carry a good baggage load with two people on board and full fuel. For IFR I think it is essential to have an autopilot in the RV with altitude hold (although I flew it IFR without one for around a year) and the tricycle landing gear models require special attention on landing but is one fine airplane.

It is small when compared to factory built 4 place airplanes. A couple of years ago I organized a fly-in to Bowling Green, Kentucky to visit the National Corvette Museum and the production facility. Our friends Jay and Helen Neal flew their Piper Turbo Dakota up from Panama City Beach, Florida. A weather advisory for hail broadcast on the local TV so we went to the airport and pushed our planes into the FBO hangar for safety. Our RV-6A was in the corner directly behind and inline with their plane. It was a shocking sight, it looked like the Dakota tried to break wind and a baby popped out. But ... size doesn't mean everything in airplanes, I can out run him with no problem in the air.

Bob Axsom

Dangerous Dan said:
I've been considering late 60's mooney vs RV. My gut tells me the RV will be faster, less GPH, & more fun.
Your gut is RIGHT! Go for it!

Dangerous Dan said:
I have homes in CA & WV (but live mostly Overseas) :( .

Thanks for the help, knowlege and ideas
Dan

Thanks to you for your time and effort on behalf of the country. Hopefully, someday all that mess over there will be straightened out and you can come home and persue the RV dream. Meanwhile, hang in there and keep your head down. We think about you guys everyday.