N8RV

Well Known Member
Well, now that the fuse is pretty much done, I've decided to add a static system. Don't ask.

From what I've gleaned, the recommended location for the static ports is ahead of the horizontal stab somewhere (I don't have Van's kit).

How magical is that location? Is there any reason why the ports can't be located a bit farther forward -- say, just aft of the F-808 bulkhead -- to avoid crawling back to the tail to install the ports?

I'm getting too old for this ... :(

I suspect there is a reason for that location. As I recall, Van's says it's an area of the fuselage with "neutral pressure." Whether there are other spots with a similar characteristic, I suppose only Van's can say.

Tweeeet!!!

"Five Year Penalty, and loss of N-Number!!"

Hey, I only know you by reputation (and that fabulous N-Number....Oh, and Danny King...), but don't mess with static port locations. It'll take you only a few minutes to put them where Van and God intended, and it does provide really accurate static pressure. elsewhere? Who knows!?

I think I had an entire class back in Aero Engineering School on instrumentation errors, and how devilishly difficult it can be to find good sources of static and clean pitot pressures. I don't remember much of it, except to trust what has already been worked out.....

Oh, and the actual position is a little forward of the -809, and a little below the main longeron - if I recall correctly. Not terrible to reach.

Paul

Ironflight said:
"Five Year Penalty, and loss of N-Number!!"

Oh, and the actual position is a little forward of the -809, and a little below the main longeron - if I recall correctly. Not terrible to reach.
Paul

Easy for YOU to say, Paul ... maybe I can get my kid to crawl back there...

OK, OK ... I'll put them wherever Van says to put them. Sheesh ... :rolleyes:

I have the Cleaveland static ports and wasn't going to buy Van's ... anybody know the EXACT location of the ports on an -8? A search of that topic on this forum came up empty.

Thanks. I think.

It seems that the location on the 6's was more forward than the location I've seen on 9's. Maybe the location isn't written in stone.

I installed my 6 static ports after the fact, just because I wanted a static line to run to the Tru-Trak altitude auto-pilot, and my main static line was off a heated pitot tube in the wing.

The location recommended by Van for his pop-rivet static ports is on drawing 41 - 1" forward of the rivet line on the 809 bulkhead, and 4" below the rivet line on the upper longeron.

If some other type of static port would have the same external shape as the recommended pop-rivet, then it should give the same accuracy if installed in the recommended location. If you use a static port with a different shape, then the accuracy of the sensed static pressure will probably be affected, which will affect the ASI and altimeter accuracy. It might be possible to get equivalent accuracy to Van's pop-rivet with a different static port by moving it to a different location, but no one as ever done the exhaustive testing and analysis that this would require.

Thanks, Kevin. Since my wife called to say that "a big box arrived" at home, I have to assume that Van's static kit is within and awaiting my arrival.

Drawing 41, huh? I'll have to look that one up ...