flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Hi all,
will want to plug in my new GPS on my side of the panel ( RV-9a) and also have a plug for the co-pilot to recharge their cell, or use an MP3 etc.
maybe a seat warmer at the most.
how much juice do I need? Should I just run them off the same circuit breaker, I think I have a spare 2 amp one.
..or should they be totally isolated? I plan to be using the gps as my main heading indicator, but just day VFR.

Also thought it would be good to plug in a solar battery charger that I could lay on the dash between flights.

thanks for any tips.

Last edited:
2 amp is not enough for seat warmer. I think it would work for the other items listed.

For the warmers, depends on the actual unit, but 7--10 amp per seat should work.

Hi all,
will want to plug in my new GPS on my side of the panel ( RV-9a) and also have a plug for the co-pilot to recharge their cell, or use an MP3 etc.
maybe a seat warmer at the most.
how much juice do I need? Should I just run them off the same circuit breaker, I think I have a spare 2 amp one.
..or should they be totally isolated? I plan to be using the gps as my main heading indicator, but just day VFR.

thanks for any tips.

Perry,

I have a cigarette lighter plug near the glove box door wired directly off the battery and protected with a 10 amp circuit breaker. I use it to power a lap top in flight and anything else that can use 12VDC. I've also got a plug rigged up to connect to a battery charger. It goes a little over 10 amps sometimes but so far has worked just fine when needed.

Since I wasn't sure what devices would be plugged into it, I wired mine for 15 AMPS on a circuit all its own. I also placarded the plug to say 15 amp max. Not sure if I will always know the current draw of any device that might be plugged into it, but at least I'll remember how I wired it.

Check out Powerlet

I used a 15A breaker dedicated to a plug for all the above-stated functions.
However, I did not use a cigarette lighter socket.
There is something MUCH better. Its called Powerlet, it is similar in function to a cigarette lighter, but somewhat smaller, and a million times better quality. Positive snap in place, nice cover when not used, etc.
The Powerlet has become kind of a defacto standard for accessories in the motorcycle world. I think they come standard on BMW's.

So, while lots of accessory cables come now with cigarette lighter plugs, it would only take a few minutes to change the plug to something MUCH better.

I have one on my battery charger, my miniature portable air compressor, back-seat GPS cable.

I'll bet I'm not the only RV'er with a Powerlet installed...

I wired mine with an in-line fuse coming straight off the battery. Keep it simple...if the fuse blows in flight, the plane keeps on flying.

Powerlet

I also use a Powerlet plug. If you go to their website, you can get an adapter that will allow a regular cigarette-lighter plug to be inserted into their female plug. This eliminates the re-wiring. I also stole an idea from Tony Spicer and installed a Powerlet plug inside the dip-stick door that allows the battery to be charged from outside, without installing a thru-hull connection.

Bill Newkirk
Flying RV-3B