Anna

Hello Everybody!

We want to install the ADAHRS in our RV8 this week.

Would you recommend using screws or rivets for the mounting of the two angle brackets? Which size?
Is there anything else we should think of before drilling some holes into the two longerons of the fuselage?

Many thanks for your support!

Best regards,
Anna

[Of course, the aft angle bracket will be turned around like the one in front - it was just preliminary to hold the ADAHRS for the picture ;)]

Screw It

I would recommend using screws. You may have to crawl back there one day and wish you could get it out of the way.

Ask me how I know...

Screw sizes 6 or 8 would do. I put mine in with one aluminum angle that has a plate riveted to it as a support for the unit. I mounted it with plastic screws and nuts configured so that it can be adjusted for pitch and roll.

Don

Last edited:
Non-ferrous screws...you can't have anything ferrous around the unit. Make sure your mount is all aluminum as well. Also make sure to leave enough clearance on the fore and aft side of the installation for the plastic tubing and the DB-9 connector. The plastic tubing can take up more space than you think depending on your routing.

I riveted my angles to the longerons just like you have, but mounted the boxes to the angles using brass screws. Nylon screws would work also, just stay away from ferrous metals. If it sticks to a magnet, it's evil back there, keep it away. Here is a shot of what mine looked like before I cleaned up the line routing.

m2ut.jpg

Last edited:
If you have not finalized your installation, you might consider the way Vans has us do it in the RV12. Seems like a neat installation and up our of the way of everything. You can even get the brackets from Vans if you want!
63xc07.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is how i did it. Next time i'll copy Mark. His is simpler with less fittings.
usermedia.php

(First attempt at posting pic here.).