dbaflyer

Well Known Member
I plan to drill this rivet out, but would like some suggestions on how to redo it properly. I got myself into this by not having the rivet completely flush in the dimple (probably pushed on it with bucking bar before starting to set it). Once set, it was slightly proud on the skin so I hit it again with the mushroom set and bucking bar. This pushed the rivet into the dimple on the wing rib and made that dimple much larger. The dimple looks a bit stretched out. And since the rivet was pushed out slightly when I started bucking it the rivet length was too short for the application. Another reason the shop head formed inside the dimple rather than on top of it. This is on the right wing top skin to rib (no doubler here).

I have some AD4-4 oops rivets I could use here but I'm worried there might not be enough good material on the dimple of the rib once it's drilled out. Need some suggestions before I make this any worse.

RightTopSkinWingBadRivet3.jpg

re-dimple

I'd just remove the rivet, center punch center from the manufactured head side, drill 3/4 of the way through with a 1/16th drill bit making sure you're in the center, then use the normal rivet removal technique then re-dimple both skin/rib together with pop rivet dimpler or allen screw dimpler whatever you have, check it out, if good put a new 3- rivet in there.

Last edited:
What Mike said. If the hole is wallowed out or otherwise looks unusable for #40 rivet, use the oops rivet. For one rivet, there should be no worries structurally - it's simply a cosmetic issue.

greg