jlfernan

Well Known Member
How can you tell the difference between AD and AN rivets? I just bought some 3-4.5's from a local aviation hardware supplier and their color is different from the ones I received with my kit. They're more yellow than the dark gold of the ones in the kit.

The dimple in the factory head of the rivet is the giveaway that it's the right rivet to use...an "AD" rivet.
rivet_alloys.gif

Color varies from lot to lot of the same rivet. To my knowledge, color is not used to differentiate rivets...My AN426AD3-3.5's, all from Van's, came in a variety of hues across the kits, ranging from plain-looking aluminum, to cool-looking gold, to mucus green. I believe there is some alodining treatment done to these rivets that can carry a color component. I have seen some that are bordering on brown.

The authority on this is AC 43.13, or your Aircraft Mechanic's Handbook...you can get a copy of the former for free in PDF format. Highly recommended reading.

"AN" is only part of the rivet shape...AN426 = csunk, AN470 = universal head. These are the two common types in use in RVs.

"AD" = 2117 aluminum (most common) and is indicated by a tiny dimple in the center of the rivet head.

"A" (the only other sort commonly seen in the RV world) is a soft rivet and has no head markings at all.

The AN means that it is made of 2024, as I recall.

I seem to remember reading that these rivet's have two recessed dash marks on the head across from one another. I also seem to recall them to require heating and a quench bath in order to install them.

You want AD's. They are made of 2117 and don't require heating.

It is what Van calls for.

;) CJ

The AN designation has nothing to do with the rivet material. It is the ancient "Army-Navy" specification system, long since replaced in the wider industry with the MS designation, which itself is being replaced by the NASM series. What used to be an AN426 became an MS20426 became an NASM20426. The previous poster is correct that the AD suffix denotes a 2117 material rivet (identifiable by the single dimple) which is indeed what Van designs for,
There is also some relation between rivet color and material. If you see a red rivet, be assured it's a soft, "A" rivet (non-structural).

AH YES, also this book goes on to say that the "AN4XX" designation has now been replaced with:

MS204XX

The x's supplement the last 2 digits, of course.

...like Mr. Voodoo says!

I have the books under my pillow now. Osmosis!

;) CJ